+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions (and options) about post-grad work permit. Thoughts and Suggestions

thenormal

Nov 22, 2009
First off, here's what i'm talking about: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

My situation: 28-year od italian guy who will soon begin a 9-month certificate course at a canadian university.

Since i'd like to study in canada for an amout of time and then try my luck at performing a work experience in that country, i was wondering about all the options i may have or try during my stay there. I know that the Post-Grad working permit basically extends your student visa for as long as the course you're attending lasts. My course is 9 months long and the university is registered through canada's government so i guess i can apply for it. Now correct me if i'm wrong, here's what i think my steps should be"

1)Begin my course
2)3 months before graduating, start looking for an employer willing to hire me
3)say i get lucky and find it, i will obtain my work permit after graduation if the immigration office accepts the job offer.
4)when graduation ends, i start my work experience.

Now if the above is correct, would the following further options be doable too?

1)during my course i work in campus to earn some money
2)what happens if a find an employer willing to hire me full time say... 2 months after having started my course? What would happen? What should both me and the employer do?
3)could i study and work part-time for an employer? kinda similar to the previous question...
4)what if the employer, after i worked for him for an amount of time, decided to hire me as a foreign worker. I think i should get back to italy, wait for him to process all the papers and then return to canada once the ambassy calls me with a work permit, right?

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks