+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about spousal sponsorship

proksd

Mar 17, 2016
Hi there.
I have some questions about family sponsorship for spouse.
First of all, I am south korean citizen and I married with my girlfriend who has canadian citizenship last january.
We married in south korea and we registrated our marriage with affidavit eligibility of marriage from canadian embassy in South korea.
Also, I am going to enter graduate school at U of A from fall 2016.
My potential professor want me to start work in laboratory before fall semester(july or august).
For this reason, they want me to get open work permit as sponsored by my wife(through inland class). Because I can work legally in the laboratory from september with my study permit.

Here is my questions.

1. I am going to get study permit before I go to canada and our flight reservation is 14 june 2016.
In this case, Can I get open work permit even if I have study permit?

2. How long does it take to get open work permit if I submit my sponsorship application right after I arrive Canada?

3. Can we submit my sponsorship application when we stay in South korea by online application in CIC?

4. What about outland class? Is it better choice?

5. I've heard about the new government of canada will change policy about family sponsorship. They will abolish 2 year conditional permanent residency for applicant of spousal sponsorship and will give PR right away.
Can I know when that policy will change?

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

proksd said:
Hi there.
I have some questions about family sponsorship for spouse.
First of all, I am south korean citizen and I married with my girlfriend who has canadian citizenship last january.
We married in south korea and we registrated our marriage with affidavit eligibility of marriage from canadian embassy in South korea.
Also, I am going to enter graduate school at U of A from fall 2016.
My potential professor want me to start work in laboratory before fall semester(july or august).
For this reason, they want me to get open work permit as sponsored by my wife(through inland class). Because I can work legally in the laboratory from september with my study permit.

Here is my questions.

1. I am going to get study permit before I go to canada and our flight reservation is 14 june 2016.
In this case, Can I get open work permit even if I have study permit?

2. How long does it take to get open work permit if I submit my sponsorship application right after I arrive Canada?

3. Can we submit my sponsorship application when we stay in South korea by online application in CIC?

4. What about outland class? Is it better choice?

5. I've heard about the new government of canada will change policy about family sponsorship. They will abolish 2 year conditional permanent residency for applicant of spousal sponsorship and will give PR right away.
Can I know when that policy will change?

Thank you.
1. Your spouse and you can't submit an "in Canada" spousal application until you are in Canada. The processing time for the SOWP is 4 months, so it appear you will be out of luck to work before school starts.
2. Spousal applications can't be submitted on line, they are a paper application, You should read the instructions" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp
3. As your spouse is a Canadian citizen, you could have submitted the application back in January when you first married.
4. Outland is much faster.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
If you want to work before Sept, you should come to Canada in April at the latest, as it takes at least 4 months to get the OWP.

If you do go for an inland application just to get a job 2 months faster, you'll be adding an extra year wait for your PR (at least a year) with an inland application.

I suggest, since you will have a study permit and can work with that, immediately apply outland (meaning now) before you even come to Canada and forget about taking the lab job early unless it is somehow vital to your graduate studies. If you end up at Manila VO, some people get DM in 5 months.

But yes, I believe you can have both the study and the OWP at the same time.

drcoolfred

Mar 28, 2016
Hi, I'm in a similar situation and I am just curious how long an outside of canada application will likely take for my korean spouse? the government website calculator says 17 months, but according to this website it seems to generally take less time? is 17 months accurate? we should have no document problems and I am a native born canadian citizen, married for 4 years with one child.