+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about my CoPR

MickaelSM90

Oct 2, 2015
Hey there,

so I received my CoPR about month ago and today I was supposed to fly to Canada but I was unable to board for the following reasons:

- I am currently residing in Portugal (which is a visa-exempt country) while I was waiting for my CoPR. Portugal does required an eTA to travel to Canada but both my lawyer and the immigration website say I don't require one since it is already implied within my CoPR. At check-in time the lady couldn't even complete the process for some reason.

- Apparently with the CoPR or even as a PR I am required to buy a return flight every time I fly to Canada (according to the airline I was gonna fly with "Azores Airlines") which tbh I find hard to believe but was told if I didn't I would get sent back which makes no sense at all since I would arrive as a landed immigrant and not a visitor.

Long story short I lost my flight for those reasons but from what I can see everything should have been fine. I just want to know if there is some truth about this, if any of you ever heard of an eTA that wasn't included with the CoPR and why would I need a return flight every time I fly to Canada as a PR?

Thank you for your time

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eta is not needed because you have COPR

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

Looks like you wasted your flight for nothing. If you became PR, you are ineligible for Eta.

MickaelSM90

Oct 2, 2015
That is exactly what I told the airline and even showed them the page saying I didn't need one but still they wouldn't let me board. I guess I am just gonna book with another airline and put in a complain to get my money back since the problem was on their end.

Thank you

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yikes. Sounds like an incompetent airline. Good luck getting your money back. They'll make you go through hoops.