+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about marrying a Canadian/moving to Canada

Angela.

Apr 6, 2010
Chicago, IL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm an American and will marry a Canadian,and I plan to live in Canada with him. From what I have read I think we will need a spouse visa? We would like to get married soon. Would we have to wait for the visa thing to go through? or would it be better to wait? Does it matter if we get married in the U.S or Canada? During the Visa process would I be able to go to school in Canada or is there another visa I would need? I have read if we apply outside of Canada I would be able to re enter Canada if I came back to the U.S for a visit, is this true and if so how would we do that? Is it possible for me to get a dual American/Canadian citizenship? Also, if I go there to visit for a week[by plane] is there a certain visa I would need, or can I go there with no problems?

Sorry for all the questions. No matter how much I have read about this, it's all still so confusing to me.

Thanks for reading!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First you get married, it does not matter where, and then you apply for sponsorship. While you wait for it to go through, you can visit him in Canada but if you want to study, you can only take short courses, less than 6 months unless you apply for a study permit.

It should not be a problem to go visit him for a week. You do not need a special visa.

Once you have lived in Canada as a permanent resident for 3 years, you can apply for Canadian citizenship. You do not lose your US citizenship so after you get the Canadian one, you will have dual citizenship.

Angela.

Apr 6, 2010
Chicago, IL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. Would I be able to go back to the U.S for visits once the Spouse visa process has started?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Angela. said:
Thanks. Would I be able to go back to the U.S for visits once the Spouse visa process has started?
If you apply outland through the US (use the forms for spouse living outside Canada) then you can go back and forth. If you apply inland (using the forms for spouse living in Canada), it would not be advised for you to leave Canada during the processing time because if you were denied entry for any reason, your application would be null and void and you would have to apply again.