+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about completing forms when sponsored person’s children are Canadians

brlnap92

Jun 12, 2013
I am a Canadian by birth, born in Canada and am just beginning the process of sponsoring my common-law wife from Ukraine under family class. We have been in a common-law relationship since early 2005 and have 3 children together (birth years 2006, 2008, 2012) (2 born in Ukraine and 1 in Canada). All 3 have Canadian citizenship and passports. Neither my wife or I have any other children and neither of us has been married or common-law previously.

1. In our case, in form IMM5481E, for question 5A is the answer ONE (my common-law wife), and question 6B is where I would put our 3 children?

2. In the immigrant forms it mentions many times “family members” - “you and your dependants” when asking for information. Then It says if you do not provide this information you may not be able to sponsor them at a later date.

Our children are already all Canadian citizens. So does that mean I don’t need to provide the information about our children since they are already Canadian citizens? (with the exception of form IMM5406E “Additional Family Information”)

3. This is related to the previous question. For immigrant form IMM008DEP (Additional Dependants) would our children be listed as additional dependants?

4. Are the birth certificates of our 3 children sufficient proof of our common-law relationship or more information is required?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Re: Questions about completing forms when sponsored person's children are Canadians

1. Yes, the kids go in 6b

2. No, you do not list the kids anywhere except IMM5406

3. If you look at IMM0008 just above the dependent's section, it specifically says NOT to include those dependents that are already Canadian. IMM0008DEP is simply an extension of the dependents section of IMM0008; you do not even need to include it.

4. Not a chance. You could be an on-off couple who never lived together but had 3 kids or you could have ended your relationship on good terms last year but you agreed to sponsor her because she wants to raise the kids in Canada. The burden of proof is entirely on you, so you will need to prove you are common-law with things like photos, rental or mortgage agreements, joint bank and credit card statements, utility bills, tickets showing you travel together, mail going to the same address, letters from friends and family confirming your relationship etc.

brlnap92

Jun 12, 2013
Re: Questions about completing forms when sponsored person's children are Canadians

Thanks, great information!