+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Question] UK MSc without Bachelors - will I get points?

aweinberger

Dec 19, 2021
Hi,

I am looking into the possibility of migrating to Canada. I have extensive work experience as a software engineer and engineering manager in the Netherlands. However, I am self taught without a degree - which only grants me 380 points.

I was accepted into a one year MSc program in Information Systems Management by a UK university, based on my work/managerial experience. This degree is officially accredited and recognized by her majesty. In the WES comparison tool, it shows as equivalent to a Canadian Masters.

Our current score is 437. Based on the CRS calculator, doing the above would give us a score of 482 (combined with my partner), or 532 with a job offer, which is of course a significant difference, and considering the latest cut-off levels.

My question is, is it possible that upon being invited and interviewed, Canadian Immigration will reject my MSc points because I don’t have a Bachelors?

I did a lot of searching here and found opinions here and there, but couldn’t see anyone speaking from experience. At one post I read that Immigration Officers are instructed to assess qualifications based on their respective country’s procedures (= Masters without undergrad valid in the UK) and in one comment I’ve read that the officers are told not to accept Masters unless there is a Bachelors.

Thank you so much for spending the time on this!