+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding OHIP expiration

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Hello,

I am currently an international student, and my spouse has a SOWP. He worked until last April, so we were eligible for OHIP that is going to expire in the end of August.
We cannot extend it because currently he is unemployed, so we have to let it expire, while he is looking for a job, because we assume they will ask us again for an updated employment letter which he doesn't have (*is it possible to apply for an extension without an employment letter? we got extension on the study permit and SOWP until the end of November, so if we can apply for an extension with him being unemployed it could really help...!)
In the meanwhile I'll apply for PGWP and if I find a job, we'll apply for OHIP through me, but it will happen only after the current OHIP is expired.

My question is - what happens after the OHIP expires? I guess we have to apply again, but does it mean we'll have to wait for 3 months again?
And also if someone has experience in applying of OHIP extension without a job, if it is even possible...

Thank you for your help!
Nitai