+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question re: application to sponsor & undertaking questionnaire

Staceybru

Apr 10, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We are doing an out of country sponsorship. My partner is from the USA, I am from Canada. He is in the States now... My question is in regards to FORM (IMM 1344 A), question 10, on the application to sponsor and undertaking.
ARE YOU A
Canadian Citizen.........I answered yes (as I was born in Canada!!!!).
Then they ask, Became a citizen on: ---Year, ---Month, ---Day
I answered this question by providing my birthdate, is this correct !!!

Then it asks, are you a permanent resident (yes or no)
I answered `NO` because I am a Canadian Citizen not a permanent resident of Canada, is this correct !!!

Last question was:
If you are a Canadian Citizen, is your claim to Citizenship by descent!
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN....... I answered `NO`

If anyone can answer these questions confidently correct, I would be very pleased.....Thank you for your time in advance....

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
I think they are asking if you attained Cdn Citizenship through naturalization or through decent, meaning your parents. I think in your case it would be YES because how else have you earned Canadian Citizenship?

I also suggest you include your provincial birth certificate and any other documents that can attest to your being Canadian such as photocopy of your passport.

GOOD LUCK!

Staceybru

Apr 10, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your response... According to the sponsorship guide, the answer to my question re: descent was as follows:
Indicate if you are a Canadian citizen and if your claim to citizenship is by descent (example: you were born outside Canada to a parent who was Canadian at the time of your birth or adopted outside Canada by a Canadian parent and obtained citizenship through he adoption provision of the Citizenship Act).

Hopefully this info can help others as well.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
im really confused,,,my wife answered yes too to that question,she is born in canada and from canadians couple,,,i read the sponsorship guide,,,,i hope other expets in this subject would answer us and make it clear,,,
thank you

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I don't want to go into the whole complicated explanation, because it is irrelevant if you were born in Canada, but some people are Canadian because one or both of their parents were born in Canada or were Canadian citizens at the time of those people's birth. The rules changed in 1977, so it depends on whether you were born before or after that, whether your parents are first generation Canadians or later, and in some cases whether you confirmed your citizenship between certain ages.

If you were born in Canada, you are Canadian, period, and you did not get your Canadian citizenship through descent -- you got it through being born in Canada. (The only way you could no longer be Canadian is if you formally renounced your Canadian citizenship with Canadian officials.)

You are not a "permanent resident" if you are a Canadian citizen.

Staceybru

Apr 10, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be Shoo, thank you for that post.... It makes it clearer re: that question and I will for sure NOT tick off "YES" in regards to the question stating:
If you are a Canadian citizen, is your claim to citizenship by decent?

I will tick off "NO"... I am the sponsor, I was born in Canada, never left Canada.
As far as question #10 stating:

Are you a Canadian Citizen, I ticked off "YES".... Then, I hope I answered the remaining question correctly because it then asks, "Became a citizen on:____Year____Month____Day. "

I wrote in my birthdate, Was I correct in doing that ??????

Thank you.

CanPak05

Apr 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2010
Doc's Request.
17-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-06-2010
Med's Request
13-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
08-06-2011 Cancelled :) :)
Passport Req..
19-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2012 :) :)
LANDED..........
28-12-2012
Hi,

I also read this question a few times when filling out the application to sponsor my wife.

I was born in Canada and have never renounced my Canadian citizenship nor I have I ever held citizenship in any other country. I answered yes to am I a Canadian citizen and wrote my birthday for the date I became a Canadian citizen as it was my right since birth and I have a birth certificate issued by the province of British Columbia.

Application as received and processed at CPC-M and forwarded CIC-ISB, so I am confident it was the right thing to write. Doing some reading on the forum others have commented with similar reponses to the question.

Good Luck!

rob_187

Apr 30, 2010
having been through this part of the process already it looks like you've done everything correctly :) by the way, make sure you write it in black ink, i almost made that mistake when i first filled it in blue ^_^ good luck and I hope you can be with your husband soon.

Staceybru

Apr 10, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:) Thank you so much for giving me some feedback re: that question re: citizenship and writing down your birthdate... IT makes me feel more confident that it was a correct thing to do.....

Thanx again

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gladiateur19 said:
im really confused,,,my wife answered yes too to that question,she is born in canada and from canadians couple,,,i read the sponsorship guide,,,,i hope other expets in this subject would answer us and make it clear,,,
thank you
thats fine gladiuter it should be fine. its not a very important question any way. its simply want to know if she was born to canadians living outside canada at time of birth. so dont worry.