+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Reading Section

Dreams123

Aug 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys

I have a question from reading section, although its very small question if anybody can help, it would be great!!!

Passage is regarding True, False and Not Given
These are the lines " Students enrolling for the certificate need to have completed three years of secondary education or fill one of the following criteria: be employed in the industry; have a work history confirmed by references; or have company sponsorship that may lead to employment once they've finished the course.

Question is: Applicants must have attended secondary school for 3 years or be working in the industry.

According to me answer should be TRUE but they say it's FALSE.

Can anybody explain why it is so because both criteria are given in passage.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's false.

It would only be true if it said:

Applicants must have attended secondary school for 3 years, be working in the industry, have a work history confirmed by references or have company sponsorship that may lead to employment once they've finished the course.

Dreams123

Aug 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
It's false.

It would only be true if it said:

Applicants must have attended secondary school for 3 years, be working in the industry, have a work history confirmed by references or have company sponsorship that may lead to employment once they've finished the course.
Oh ok, you mean, it should include all the points in that same line.

It is considered be wrong if it includes just 2 points from lets say 5 points?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dreams123 said:
Oh ok, you mean, it should include all the points in that same line.

It is considered be wrong if it includes just 2 points from lets say 5 points?
That's right. The question includes the word "must" and then only lists two of the criteria. So it's false because those aren't the only ways an applicant can qualify.

BQ

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Agreed!

The word " must" has changed all the meaning. This is the trick of reading that you have to understand each and every word carefully, in a short time.

Dreams123

Aug 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh. Thanks so much for your help. As much i try to prepare for the exam, more difficult it looks to me :-( Every question is different compare to other. I got wrong answers every time i try but when i see the answers, then i do understand what my mistake was :-(

Seriously, general IELTS was considered to be the easiest one but now it looks equally challenging. May be because i am thinking too much about it. :-(

BQ

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
General IELTS pattern has become changed now. Reading seems to be a nightmare of it.
Writing component is easy, however, i believe that it all depends your luck.

In exam, your mind must be relaxed but it is not possible to some extent, as you are in lot of stress.

Neways, Good luck!

Dreams123

Aug 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BQ said:
General IELTS pattern has become changed now. Reading seems to be a nightmare of it.
Writing component is easy, however, i believe that it all depends your luck.

In exam, your mind must be relaxed but it is not possible to some extent, as you are in lot of stress.

Neways, Good luck!
Thanks, also can you send me resources from where you studied?

I replied to many threads on this forum who said they can help with the resources but i never received anything. Can you share with me?

BQ

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
I studied IELTS book 1-9 completely. Its a complete set available from any famous and big shops where you live locally