+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on 1095 rule.

krish240574

Mar 7, 2011
Hello,
I've been offered a job to start work in Canada, and I will do so in the near future. I had the following question :
- If I start working in Canada from June 1, 2011, and apply for my PR in the next few months(or my company does it), and I stay in Canada , working there, until my PR comes through. Assuming this process takes 2-3 years, I am then eligible to apply for a citizenship. My question is, are these years that I have spent, before getting my PR, counted toward the 1095 days, required, for citizenship?
Meaning, I could work for 3 years, get a PR and be eligible for citizenship right away, is that possible?

Please advise,
Thanks,
Krishna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - some of the days you lived in Canada before obtaining PR will count towards citizenship. No - you won't have sufficient days to apply for citizenship immediately. You will have to live in Canada for another two years after obtaining PR to qualify for citizenship (assuming you don't leave the country during this time).

From the CIC site:

What is the residence requirement?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application. Please note that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

When calculating your time in Canada:

- only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are taken into account;
- each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day;
- each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only 1 year will be counted towards your citizenship prior to becoming a PR. Once you become a PR you'll have to live in Canada for 2 years to complete the 1095 days. After that you apply for citizenship wait for another year before they call you for test and oath

krish240574

Mar 7, 2011
Thank you very much for your replies, Scylla and Newtone. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to do so.
Sincere regards,
krishna