+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Question] GTS Application - Umbrella/Payroll Company

aweinberger

Dec 19, 2021
(asking on behalf of my partner)

Hi,

I work for a fully remote startup in the software industry. We employ anyone from anywhere using various payroll agencies (e.g. Papaya Global). Currently based in the Netherlands.

I am considering asking my employer to support my temporary work in Canada following the Global Talent Stream Category B track. I qualify in terms of requirements (global talent occupation, years of experience, education, salary).

Essentially my company will not have an entity in Canada but use one of those payroll agencies to employ me. The agency will also handle the LMIA and visa procedures.

Has anyone done or heard of somebody who has done this and had any luck? Not sure how authorities treat those in terms of LMIA and work permits.

thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Hi,

I work for a fully remote startup in the software industry. We employ anyone from anywhere using various payroll agencies (e.g. Papaya Global). Currently based in the Netherlands.

I am considering asking my employer to support my temporary work in Canada following the Global Talent Stream Category B track. I qualify in terms of requirements (global talent occupation, years of experience, education, salary).

Essentially my company will not have an entity in Canada but use one of those payroll agencies to employ me. The agency will also handle the LMIA and visa procedures.

Has anyone done or heard of somebody who has done this and had any luck? Not sure how authorities treat those in terms of LMIA and work permits.

thanks!
It's going to be a refusal.

To qualify for a work permit, the company needs to have physical operations in Canada and needs to provide a number of documents to prove the existence of Canadian operations and business legitimacy in Canada. Unfortunately there's no path to success to get a work permit approved in this scenario.

Reactions: pw0032239

Sanjar718

Apr 4, 2019
Montreal
Category........
QSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-08-2021

Hi,

thanks!
Any news ? I'm applying the same method, company located in US but they have payroll company here in canada .