+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for Spanish speaker immigrants (others may answer too)

NewResident

Mar 31, 2009
I am gonna post this question on this topic because I haven't been successful in the 'settlement' topic. As you may know, most people of Spanish speaking countries have two last names as family name (one from your father and the second one from your mother; both conform what is called here your family name; we called it last names). The thing is that initially when they (immigration) issued my first worker visa and work permit, they did it only with my first last name ('Perez'). But now that I have been granted permanent residence status, they have put both last names ('Perez Lopez'). I have applied for my new SIN card and they have put both last names as well. However, all my current documentation in Canada has only my first last name as my family name ('Perez'). Has anyone faced this problem before and how have you solved it?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

NewResident said:
I am gonna post this question on this topic because I haven't been successful in the 'settlement' topic. As you may know, most people of Spanish speaking countries have two last names as family name (one from your father and the second one from your mother; both conform what is called here your family name; we called it last names). The thing is that initially when they (immigration) issued my first worker visa and work permit, they did it only with my first last name ('Perez'). But now that I have been granted permanent residence status, they have put both last names ('Perez Lopez'). I have applied for my new SIN card and they have put both last names as well. However, all my current documentation in Canada has only my first last name as my family name ('Perez'). Has anyone faced this problem before and how have you solved it?
1. They won't change your COPR (Immigrant visa) because it is now a "historical document" as Perez Lopez was probably the name on your passport.
2. To change your PR card, you will have to get a legal name change in Canada, then apply for a new PR Card as well you will have to change your passport.

PMM