+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about when my wife arrives in Canada

Big_Canuck

Jul 11, 2010
Hello everybody,

my wife has received permanent resident status. However, we didn't expect it so quick (it took only 3 months). She has a flight planned to visit me over christmas for 10 days, but then she will fly back to her country to finish with work and get everything straightened out before she leaves for good. From what I understand, she will be granted her permanent residence as soon as she comes through customs. Then she will have to apply for the permanent residency card, after that point if she is to get back into the country she will need that card. But she will only be in Canada for 10 days, then fly back. I'd be suprised if the card is finished before she has to go back to her country.

Am I correct with my understanding of how the system works?

What should we do? Will this cause a problem?

Thanks for your help,

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Big_Canuck said:
Hello everybody,

my wife has received permanent resident status. However, we didn't expect it so quick (it took only 3 months). She has a flight planned to visit me over christmas for 10 days, but then she will fly back to her country to finish with work and get everything straightened out before she leaves for good. From what I understand, she will be granted her permanent residence as soon as she comes through customs. Then she will have to apply for the permanent residency card, after that point if she is to get back into the country she will need that card. But she will only be in Canada for 10 days, then fly back. I'd be suprised if the card is finished before she has to go back to her country.

Am I correct with my understanding of how the system works?

What should we do? Will this cause a problem?

Thanks for your help,
Your wife can do two things.

1. She can tell them in customs that she is not ready to land and is just coming for a visit - she doesnt have to land right away, just before the date that the visa expires.

2. She can land when she comes in and then return to her country and when the card comes to your address in Canada you can forward it to her in her country so that she can return to Canada.