+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about my work experience - do I have 2 or 3 years?

liyals

Oct 3, 2019
I'm having some doubts about how many points to claim for work experience and thought I'd ask here.

So I worked at a company from late 2012 - mid 2013 (around nine months) after finishing my O levels. I then went to study for four years abroad. When I returned in mid-July of 2017, I resumed my position at the company and have been working there since (26 months and counting). By next month I would have completed 36 months overall (counting the nine months before university).

Does it matter that my experience was before university? It was in the same profession and was full-time, paid work.

eiden03

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
I'm having some doubts about how many points to claim for work experience and thought I'd ask here.

So I worked at a company from late 2012 - mid 2013 (around nine months) after finishing my O levels. I then went to study for four years abroad. When I returned in mid-July of 2017, I resumed my position at the company and have been working there since (26 months and counting). By next month I would have completed 36 months overall (counting the nine months before university).

Does it matter that my experience was before university? It was in the same profession and was full-time, paid work.
It doesn't matter, you can claim 3 years of experience for your CRS score. For FSW eligibility, you only need at least 1 year of continuous work experience in your primary NOC (you have 2 years).

For CRS purposes, any experience can be used alongside the one from your primary NOC to complete 3 years, as long as it was paid work in the last 10 years and in NOCs 0, A or B.It doesn't matter if it was a different NOC from your primary, or the duration of these other jobs.