15-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2010
Hello everyone,

I am a student graduating from U of A (also Canadian born citizen) in April and I have a girlfriend in Holland. We met last year while she was on her holiday work visa and she has been here to visit once since she left last May. We're trying to figure out a way to get her over here for good and we figured out that she wont qualify for a skilled worker. Neither of us are willing to get married just so she can stay in the country.

The plan as of now is for her to come over (I start work soon) and we will start a home together (bank account in both our names, lease in both our names etc). I will be supporting her during this time as she wont be able to work because she would just be a visitor. As the 6 month limit started to creep up we were planning on applying for an extension. I have read through the forums and it seems like it is pretty iffy on the outcome of the extension. If we could show that our intent is to build a home together (we would ultimately be shooting to apply as a common law couple with me being her sponsor) would that increase our chances of getting her a 6 month extension?

I should also add the we're looking into any year long programs where she could improve her English which could possibly result in a student visa.

Also, if she got the extension rejected, then what would happen? All the things I have been reading about this seem to say that she wouldn't be allowed to go back to Holland for say a month and then come back. Might it be a better option for her to go back to Holland for a few weeks and come back into Canada without applying for an extension?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it would be better for her to apply for extension. Say she is exploring the relationship or something. It is not really the way to "extend" a visit visa by going home and coming back. She could also be denied coming in the 2nd time based on that she should be gone for 6 months after staying for 6 months. She needs to show she has funds to stay though.

If she was denied visit visa extension, you could still marry her. If you believe that marriage is too big of a commitment at this point, you need to take into account that sponsorship is not a small commitment either. You will be financially responsible for her for 3 years after she gets her PR. If something happens and she goes on social assistance or disability, you would have to cover it, even if you were not even together anymore.

Aroundtown22

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
14-10-2010
Med's Request
25-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-08-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2010
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I should have made myself a little clearer about the marriage thing. We're ready to get married but we want to do it in a certain way. Getting married so she can come to Canada is not that way and so we want to wait until we can do it right so I am prepared to become her sponsor and understand mostly what it entails.

As for the visa extension, how would she prove she has the funds to stay? Would me supporting her financially suffice for this or would she need a lump sum of money in her bank account?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you write a letter saying you are taking care of her expenses and prove your income or funds, I am sure that will work too.