+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about common law definition

tend_23

Apr 2, 2023
HI I start preparing documents as I think my score is close to the latest draw. But I have a few questions about common law relationship

CIC definition of common law is: In the immigration context, a common-law partnership means that a couple have lived together for at least one year in a conjugal relationship [R1(1)]. A common-law relationship exists from the day on which two individuals can provide evidence to support their cohabitation in a conjugal relationship.

1) Does this mean that if we actually live together for 12 months but only have proof for 6 months, we have only 6 month qualified common law relationship from IRCC perspective?

2) If my partner and I have lived together for 12 months, but only have 6 months' proof, can I declare as single and apply for myself?

3) Once I get PR as single and assuming my marital status keeps to be single during the application, can I sponsor my partner if we are married after getting PR? My concern is that I declare myself as single during the application, but the personal address history will show that my partner and I have a 12 month common address history.