+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about applying citizenship certificate for my son

thanhlong1984

Dec 14, 2014
Hi,

I am a naturalized Canadian citizen and currently sponsoring my wife for PR. She is pregnant and was requested to submit our child's birth certificate as part of her application. Here are some questions that I hope someone here can help to answer

1. Is it true that our child (after he is born) will be a Canadian citizen?
2. Do I have to apply for a citizenship certificate for him?

If I indeed have to apply for a citizenship certificate for him on his behalf, I get stuck with the questions below and will appreciate if someone can answer

1. In form CIT0001E-2's document checklist, it requires to submit "Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a passport, a driver's license or a health insurance card, one of which must have your photo on it.". Given that I will submit the application when my son is around 1 month old, he is too young to have any of these IDs. What can I do in this case?
2. There's form IMM5476-E, which is "Use of a representative". As I fill the form on behalf of my son, do I have to declare myself as a representative in this form?

Thanks

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 23-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
Yes, you do have to apply for proof of citizenship for your child. It takes about 5 months to process, so keep that in mind.
You will need to get your son a passport and that will take care of the photo identification. Since your wife and the baby will travel to Canada, your son will need a passport anyway.

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
I'm also sponsoring my wife for PR and am a naturalized Canadian citizen.

I applied for my baby daughter's Proof of Canadian citizenship in August and got a call in December to come pick it up at the Canadian consulate in Ho Chi Minh city.

For my friend he got his daughter's PofCanadian citizenship in 9 months and I was told it would take more than a year. The website says 9 month I think.

After I received PofCC I submitted it right away along with passport photo and application form for my daughter's Canadian passport. They gave a date of a month to come pick it up this end of January.

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
buonqua said:

I applied for my baby daughter's Proof of Canadian citizenship in August and got a call in December to come pick it up at the Canadian consulate in Ho Chi Minh city.

For my friend he got his daughter's PofCanadian citizenship in 9 months and I was told it would take more than a year. The website says 9 month I think.

After I received PofCC I submitted it right away along with passport photo and application form for my daughter's Canadian passport. They gave a date of a month to come pick it up this end of January.
I guess it depends where you apply (Canada/USA vs other countries). When I was applying, the website said 5 months and it was almost exactly 5 months.

buonqua

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 16,2016
AOR Received.
May 4, 2016
File Transfer...
May 12, 2016
Med's Done....
February 19,2016
Correct website says 5 months and add couple months if applying outside Canada/USA. I applied outside Canada and was surprised to have it in 4 months.

thanhlong1984

Dec 14, 2014
canusa13 said:
Yes, you do have to apply for proof of citizenship for your child. It takes about 5 months to process, so keep that in mind.
You will need to get your son a passport and that will take care of the photo identification. Since your wife and the baby will travel to Canada, your son will need a passport anyway.
If I understand correctly, I will have to apply a VN passport for my son before I can apply for proof of canadian citizenship (in order to have a photo ID). When my son gets the proof of canadian citizenship, I have to apply for a canadian passport for him to travel to canada. Is it what you meant?

buonqua said:

When you applied for your baby daughter's PofCC, what did you use as your daughter's photo ID? Do you mind if I send you a private message to discuss about this more?

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
think there are some different info in the forum regarding to that matter depending on the embassy.

my daughter was born in S. korea. and she applied for her citizenship cert. and took 8 months (was 2013- 2014)

According to the officer at Canada embassy in Seoul, she need to apply for CC first in order to apply for Canadian passport.
so we did apply cc first, but cannot wait for 8 month to come to Canada.

what the officer told us that if we purchased a plane ticket and bring itinerary as a proof , then you can apply for her passport.
so we purchased a ticket first then got her Canadian passport.

p.s I did not have her photo ID when applied for CC, I just brought her birth cert. from hospital (translated in Eng. )

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
thanhlong1984 said:
If I understand correctly, I will have to apply a VN passport for my son before I can apply for proof of canadian citizenship (in order to have a photo ID). When my son gets the proof of canadian citizenship, I have to apply for a canadian passport for him to travel to canada. Is it what you meant?

When you applied for your baby daughter's PofCC, what did you use as your daughter's photo ID? Do you mind if I send you a private message to discuss about this more?
Yes. First, your son will need a passport from the country he was born in, then you apply for proof of Canadian citizenship and then you can get him a Canadian passport.

When I applied for my daughter's Canadian proof of citizenship, I provided her American passport as photo ID (she was born in the US).

Dko

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
hello anyone with similar experience please help!

I am a nat. CDN citizen and my wife is Chinese. We submitted the spousal outland app in July2015.
We had a baby girl in Nov2015 in Guangzhou, China. we didn't register her in the Chinese Hukou system and we didn't apply for a Chinese passport.
I went to CDN consulate here in Guangzhou and applied for CDN CC for my daughter in early Dec2015. The office lady told me the processing time is about 9 months for the CC.

so my questions are:

1- do we have to notify the local Chinese authority after receiving the CDN CC?

2- how long can my daughter stay in China with her mom? (since anyone who is non-Chinese visiting China will need a visitor's visa)

3- for some magical luck that my wife's PR is approved before my daughter's CC, is there a special CDN passport we can apply for so the three of us can travel/fly back to Canada?

thank you for your response!