+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about applying as a skiller worker if you are an international student

tanitm

Dec 3, 2008
According to the official Canadian immigration website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp) the following individuals are eligible to apply for permanent residency as a skilled worker under the new rules:

1. According to the Minister’s instructions, your application is eligible for processing if:
* you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
* you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
* you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed here.

I already have a few years of work experience as a skilled worker in the United States, but my job is not one of the listed occupations, and I plan to go to graduate school in Canada. Does this mean that according to the new rules I am able to apply for permanent residency as a skilled worker from the moment I become an international student in Canada or do I have to wait for a certain amount of time? In addition, does anyone know what the processing times are going to be for such cases? Are they going to be the same as the one from the list of desired occupations, which I have heard is supposed to take 6-12 months?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tanitm said:
According to the official Canadian immigration website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp) the following individuals are eligible to apply for permanent residency as a skilled worker under the new rules:

1. According to the Minister's instructions, your application is eligible for processing if:
* you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
* you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
* you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed here.
You can apply for skilled worker after having been living in Canada as a student for one year, provided you have 67 or more points.