+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query Regarding Extending Study Permit

Saifil Momin

Oct 20, 2019
Hi,
Thanks for answering the questions.

My name is Saifil and I am an international student in Toronto on a 1-year program. My program started on Jan 2020 and was supposed to end in December 2020. Normally you get 3 more months after program completion i.e., in my case till March 2021 for applying PGWP. But since my passport was ending on 6th Jan 2021 my study permit was valid till the same date. Hence, I didn't get that extra 3 months.

For extending my work permit I got my Letter of enrollment from the college which I would use to put my case. But while applying I got few questions where I got stuck.

First Question was
How much time are you going to stay in Canada? Options were Temporary More than 6 months and Temporary Less than 6 months.
- I answered Temporary More than 6 months

Another question it asked me was if I had a medical exam in the last 12 months?
- I answered No as I did my medical in September 2019.

Then the following question to above was have you stayed for more than 6 months in a designated country?
- I answered Yes as I stayed for more than 6 months in India in 2019.

After this, it showed me a message that you need to get a medical as you want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months and you have lived in a designated country for more than 6 months last year.

I wanted to know if there a way around this without getting a medical exam and should I be selecting less than 6 months in the first question as my study permit extension is technically less than 6 months. I selected more than 6 months as I was thinking about getting another program in May but I don't have any offer letter or as such and don't think I will have one before Jan 6th.

Please advise me for my next steps.

Thanks.