+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on Transit Visa requirement

Aquablue999

Apr 8, 2023
Hello all,

I need urgent help. I booked my mom's tickets from Bangalore to YYZ for 5th August with 2 layovers one in Franfurt and the other in Copenhagen. She is travelling on visit visa. My question is will she require a transit visa for Copenhagen? Layover is for 1.05hrs only. Lufthansa asked to check with the Embassy so I called the Danish consulate here in Toronto and they had no info.

Any info would be helpful. Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I need urgent help. I booked my mom's tickets from Bangalore to YYZ for 5th August with 2 layovers one in Franfurt and the other in Copenhagen. She is travelling on visit visa. My question is will she require a transit visa for Copenhagen? Layover is for 1.05hrs only. Lufthansa asked to check with the Embassy so I called the Danish consulate here in Toronto and they had no info.

Any info would be helpful. Thank you!!
Suggest using this tool to figure it out: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

Aquablue999

Apr 8, 2023
Thank you for the info I checked the site and it gave me the below result. Does this mean she can travel without a transit visa? (The visa required part is confusing)
‐-------------------------------
Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Passengers transiting through Copenhagen Kastrup (CPH) and arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight on the same calendar day to a third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They must:
- stay in the international transit area of the airport, and
- have documents required for the next destination
--------------------------------------------

albloshi_sa

Jul 28, 2019
You will need a transit visa for schengen. Airline will not allow you to board without a transit visa.

Lufthansa has clear rule:
If you have 1 transit in Frankfurt with switching planes in same terminal and NOT-crossing any immigration, and your flight is within same day means less than 24 hours of transit, they will allow to transit without visa.

Other than that, all passengers crossing immigration will require a transit or visit schengen visa.

In your case, I assume, Your passenger will do the following
Bangalore board to Frankfurt
Once reached Frankfurt.. will go to immigration and get cleared..
Go to other flight on other terminal..
Board Frankfurt to Copenhagen plane..
reach copenhagen and board toronto flight.

In above scenario, both crossing-immigration and changing-terminal will occur and passenger will need a transit or visit schengen visa.

I hope this clarify

albloshi_sa

Jul 28, 2019
Thank you for the info I checked the site and it gave me the below result. Does this mean she can travel without a transit visa? (The visa required part is confusing)
‐-------------------------------
Visa required.

Passengers transiting through Copenhagen Kastrup (CPH) and arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight on the same calendar day to a third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They must:
--------------------------------------------
Its not confusing, its clear

arriving from a non-Schengen Member State doesnt apply to your passenger, as your passenger will be arriving in Copenhagen from Frankfurt which is a Schengen Member state.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its not confusing, its clear

arriving from a non-Schengen Member State doesnt apply to your passenger, as your passenger will be arriving in Copenhagen from Frankfurt which is a Schengen Member state.
The route may have been less expensive but this is potentially a travel disaster not only for the transit visa issue but having to go through immigration and checking in again in Frankfurt, tight connections, etc. Hopefully it worked out.