Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-11-11
AOR Received.
12-12-11
Hi,

What happens if you get approved by QC program but do not live in QC in your 4 years? Do you still qualify for citizenship?

Sultana

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quebec immigration might not like it if you didn't live in Quebec but they don't give you citizenship because citizenship is federal. The only thing that Canada immigration doesn't like is if you lie (misrepresent yourself) when you apply.

If you pretended that you would settle in Quebec but lied and this is obvious from your actions like not landing in Quebec or landing but not applying for a SIN or health card there but showing up in Ontario a week later and doing that there, then you might have a problem. If you stayed in Quebec at least long enough that you could say that you intended to settle there when you landed, you are ok.

houstace

Jul 25, 2011
Hi,
I have technically a similar question. I had applied for Quebec Skilled Immigration 6 years ago. I just received my PR Visa. My intention was at that time to settle in Quebec. I was told by my lawyer that it would take only a year or so to get the immigration but it took 6. My children were still very young and could easily have settled into the french immersion school system. I am actually scared for them now since my daughter is now in 9th grade and i know she'll suffer academically once she switches systems. I still intend to land in Quebec and look for work. I am a teacher by profession and have basic spoken french. Having said all that I wanted to know if I dont find job in Quebec and do find it in another province, then how will this effect my citizenship status once the time arises. Also, will I be able to use my PR card, health benefits and SIN from Quebec in other provinces if I move for job purposes?
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The criteria is only that you intend to settle at the time you applied and at the time you land. There is no minimum time you must stay there and there is no connection to citizenship.

What sounds like a good idea to me is that you all land together and then you let your family go back home while you yourself spend a couple of months looking to see if you can find a job. If it works out, you can think about staying. If not, you can move to where the jobs are. If you stay in Quebec for 3 months or more, you would have gained your healthcare there and it will cover you for the first 3 months after you move while you are waiting for healthcare there. Your SIN will work anywhere in Canada without a problem. Once you have a job, your family can join you. They wouldn't have Quebec health if they didn't stay for 3 months so they might have to do that waiting time after they settle unless you go to a province with instant health care for people who move from another country.

houstace

Jul 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply,
I am a single parent so wont be able to leave the kids behind. I feel that my best bet is to come to Quebec and while I am looking for work here, I should also look for work in other provinces also. I am coming to Canada in search of a better life and not to become a burden on the Canadian economy as I heard horrific tales of how people start living at the state's expense and have abused the system. That's not for me. I am just hoping for the best. and keeping my fingers crossed.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A 9th grader is still young enough to get a good grip on a new language fairly quickly. I don't think you have to worry about it too much if you decide to stay.