+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QORAX, PMM, EXPERTS Education points for trade

canada12

Jun 17, 2010
I am the principal applicant, the question refers to my wife who has studied high school and has received a 1 year diploma as a professional cook last year and has also done an apprenticeship in a mayor hotel. According to the F.S.W. guide in the CIC website, she would receive 3 points for this for adaptability.

But checking out the new operation manual OP6/11.2 there is a note that says:

Note: A post-secondary educational credential is eligible for points if it was obtained at an institution for
which a secondary school diploma is required for acceptance.

This did not appear in the previous OP6.

The culinary academy she attented did not ask her for her high school diploma as a requisite for acceptance when she started out, neither the F.S.W. guide nor the previous operating manual said nothing about this, so how are we to know about it? Could the experts please elaborate on this please, I am afraid she will not recieve her 3 points beacause of this.

canada12

Jun 17, 2010
PMM,

Did you read the complete post? I know it should be 3 points but regarding the rest of the post could you please give me your opinion? Thank You

PMM said:
HI

3 points if she had 12 years of education with a 1 year diploma.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canada12 said:
PMM,

Did you read the complete post? I know it should be 3 points but regarding the rest of the post could you please give me your opinion? Thank You
This is what the Regulations state:

Adaptability (10 points)
83. (1) A maximum of 10 points for adaptability shall be awarded to a skilled worker on the basis of any combination of the following elements:
(a) for the educational credentials of the skilled worker's accompanying spouse or accompanying common-law partner, 3, 4 or 5 points determined in accordance with subsection (2);
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(a), an officer shall evaluate the educational credentials of a skilled worker's accompanying spouse or accompanying common-law partner as if the spouse or common-law partner were a skilled worker, and shall award points to the skilled worker as follows:
(a) for a spouse or common-law partner who would be awarded 25 points, 5 points;
(b) for a spouse or common-law partner who would be awarded 20 or 22 points, 4 points; and
(c) for a spouse or common-law partner who would be awarded 12 or 15 points, 3 points.

So if you look at the education factor

You have a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 15 points
You have a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 12 points

Nowhere does it say that graduation from a high school is required.