+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PWGP set to Expire

Mr.Je

Aug 12, 2024
Hello,

My PWGP is set to expire in the next few weeks. I currently have a job where I am an assistant manager at a retail store. I am trying to figure out what options I have to stay in Canada working.

I will be applying for PR through my spouse sponsoring me in the near future, however was trying to determine if there is an option for me to continue working before we submit that application? My understanding is my PWGP will turn into an open work permit once that PR application goes in (and an AOR is received).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

My PWGP is set to expire in the next few weeks. I currently have a job where I am an assistant manager at a retail store. I am trying to figure out what options I have to stay in Canada working.

I will be applying for PR through my spouse sponsoring me in the near future, however was trying to determine if there is an option for me to continue working before we submit that application? My understanding is my PWGP will turn into an open work permit once that PR application goes in (and an AOR is received).
Your expectation is not exactly correct.
Your spouse/common law partner will submit the application to sponsor. In the range of a few weeks/months, you will received AOR of that application. Then you can apply for OWP.

So if you PGWP is expiring in a few weeks, I don't know how you can continue to work without a work permit.
And your PGWP doesn't "turn into" an OWP. It's a new work permit application under family class sponsorship.

Mr.Je

Aug 12, 2024
Ty for the response;

The PGWP is an open work permit though correct?

You're saying it would not be an extension of that current permit though and a new one.

I suppose I am wondering if there is any other way I can apply for an extension/new OWP outside of my spouse/common law partner submitting the application to sponsor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ty for the response;

The PGWP is an open work permit though correct?

You're saying it would not be an extension of that current permit though and a new one.

I suppose I am wondering if there is any other way I can apply for an extension/new OWP outside of my spouse/common law partner submitting the application to sponsor.
There isn't unless you happen to have already applied for PR under an economic immigration program and have received AOR or a nomination.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
May be you want to take a look at this link. This is new to me so I don't know if that applies to your situation.
But you need to at least submitted the sponsorship application.

Open work permit: Applying as a sponsored spouse or common-law partner in Canada - Canada.ca
Click Yes in the follow question.
Do you have valid temporary resident status? (required)
Yes

Then you can see the following as part of the page:
Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)

Mr.Je

Aug 12, 2024
May be you want to take a look at this link. This is new to me so I don't know if that applies to your situation.
But you need to at least submitted the sponsorship application.

Open work permit: Applying as a sponsored spouse or common-law partner in Canada - Canada.ca
Click Yes in the follow question.
Do you have valid temporary resident status? (required)
Yes

Then you can see the following as part of the page:
Who’s eligible to apply for a work permit without an AOR
You can only apply for a work permit without an AOR if you meet both of the following criteria:

• your work permit, study permit or temporary resident status will expire in 2 weeks or less and
  • you’ve applied for permanent residence under one of the following classes:
    • the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) as a spouse or common-law partner
    • the family class as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner (sponsored overseas)
This is what I saw as well, but couldn't find a specific line saying I could keep working while my PR + WP applications are in process. Did you happen to see that by chance?

Thank you!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This is what I saw as well, but couldn't find a specific line saying I could keep working while my PR + WP applications are in process. Did you happen to see that by chance?

Thank you!
I don't know for sure if you can work while waiting for OWP. (for sure not related to PR application because that doesn't give you any status or right to work)