+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Purpose of Travel - Other" vs Invitation Letter

james18666

Feb 26, 2015
I'm trying to help my girlfriend apply for a TRV to visit Canada. I'm helping her do the online application and after finishing the eligibility questionnaire, it lists the following supporting documents.

Family Information (IMM5645) (Opens a new window)
Purpose of Travel - Other
Proof of Means of Financial Support
Passport or travel document
Digital Photo
Proof of Relationship
General Education and Employment Form
Travel History
Invitation Letter

To me the "purpose of travel - other" and invitation letter seem like the exact same thing. However as these are listed as separate items I guess they are expecting 2 documents. If she is already providing an invitation letter then what is she supposed to submit for the "purpose of travel - other"? The instructions say:

Document: Purpose of Travel - Other

You must provide documents supporting the purpose of your travel to Canada. Examples include: proof of educational study, wedding invitations, proof of a medical appointment, notification of death, funeral notice, etc.

None of those examples apply to her case so I'm very confused about this. Should she just submit 2 copies of the invitation letter?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Purpose of Travel is a detailed Itinerary (ideally day-by-day with expense estimates in CAD).... for eg: to do some sightseeing, to meet relatives/friends, etc

james18666

Feb 26, 2015
Ok, that makes sense although the wording on the website is very poor. Thanks very much!!!!

Bryanna said:
Purpose of Travel is a detailed Itinerary (ideally day-by-day with expense estimates in CAD).... for eg: to do some sightseeing, to meet relatives/friends, etc