+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD - proof of the residential addresses of the person you are accompanying

zeninmaking

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
Hello!
My wife is applying for a PRTD and stated that she accompanied a Canadian Citizen (me) while outside Canada.
Appendix A (situation B) asks to submit:
  • proof of the residential addresses of the person you are accompanying for the five (5) years before the application;
What kind of documents proving my residential address can I submit and how many should I submit over the 5 years?

Also, my wife was outside Canada for only 213 days in the past 5 years. Is it still required to submit my residential address proof considering she meets the residency obligation criteria. I'm thinking the whole "accompanying a Canadian Citizen outside Canada" is used when the residency obligation is not met so they could count the days the applicant was with a Canadian Citizen while traveling? I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello!
My wife is applying for a PRTD and stated that she accompanied a Canadian Citizen (me) while outside Canada.
Appendix A (situation B) asks to submit:
  • proof of the residential addresses of the person you are accompanying for the five (5) years before the application;
What kind of documents proving my residential address can I submit and how many should I submit over the 5 years?

Also, my wife was outside Canada for only 213 days in the past 5 years. Is it still required to submit my residential address proof considering she meets the residency obligation criteria. I'm thinking the whole "accompanying a Canadian Citizen outside Canada" is used when the residency obligation is not met so they could count the days the applicant was with a Canadian Citizen while traveling? I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance!
As long as the total time spent outside Canada is fewer than 1095 days, as calculated in Question 5.5, there is no need to include the additional supporting evidence needed to get credit for days outside Canada accompanying a citizen spouse. The PR only needs to include two pieces of evidence showing residency in Canada.

In particular, note that in the guide for making a PR TD application, in the instructions regarding the RO in the appendix, the instructions for including supporting evidence to get credit for days outside Canada accompanying a citizen spouse follow a statement that makes it clear those are for a PR who was outside Canada for more than 1095 days. Which as you suggest makes sense.

zeninmaking

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
As long as the total time spent outside Canada is fewer than 1095 days, as calculated in Question 5.5, there is no need to include the additional supporting evidence needed to get credit for days outside Canada accompanying a citizen spouse. The PR only needs to include two pieces of evidence showing residency in Canada.

In particular, note that in the guide for making a PR TD application, in the instructions regarding the RO in the appendix, the instructions for including supporting evidence to get credit for days outside Canada accompanying a citizen spouse follow a statement that makes it clear those are for a PR who was outside Canada for more than 1095 days. Which as you suggest makes sense.
Thank you!