+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD- from US to Canada

rachel_01

Sep 26, 2022
Hey,

Has anyone filed for PRTD recently while their PR card application is in progress?

I checked that while you have applied for your PR card, and if its under processing to be created and delivered and if you are outside canada during that time, in order to return back to canada, one would require PRTD if PR is not yet available.

To file for PRTD (if residing in New York), has to goto LA VAC physically and submit application. Is that true? Has anyone been in a similar stance?

Your inputs will be very helpful.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hey,

Has anyone filed for PRTD recently while their PR card application is in progress?

I checked that while you have applied for your PR card, and if its under processing to be created and delivered and if you are outside canada during that time, in order to return back to canada, one would require PRTD if PR is not yet available.

To file for PRTD (if residing in New York), has to goto LA VAC physically and submit application. Is that true? Has anyone been in a similar stance?

Your inputs will be very helpful.
I don’t think you have to physically go to the VAC. The last time I looked everything could be submitted via email.But since you are in NY, why not simply drive to Canada - then you don’t have to worry about the PRTD.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

rachel_01

Sep 26, 2022
I don’t think you have to physically go to the VAC. The last time I looked everything could be submitted via email.But since you are in NY, why not simply drive to Canada - then you don’t have to worry about the PRTD.
Okay, so if i choose to drive to canada, what would i show to the canada land border officer - COPR ? Would that be suffice?
And what would be the reason for travel- can i say i am going to collect my PR?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Okay, so if i choose to drive to canada, what would i show to the canada land border officer - COPR ? Would that be suffice?
And what would be the reason for travel- can i say i am going to collect my PR?
Have you actually done your soft landing yet? From your other thread it is not clear. If you have, then yes your COPR would be sufficient. For the reason, if you are traveling to collect your PR card, it would make sense to say that - or that you are taking a nice weekend trip.