+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship to sponser

Crazypal

Feb 13, 2017
My wife lives outside Canada and we just got married, I am in the process of filling out the sponsorship application for her. In the "proof of relationship to sponsor" section of the checklist they are asking for one document from the three of the following sets:
1. Joint ownership of residential property
2. proof of joint utilities account
3. documents showing same address
4. shared employment insurance benefits
5. financial support
6. proof of relationship

Since we just got married and she does not live in Canad, How am i supposed to provide these documents? or what are the expectations?

arunsgirl

Star Member
Feb 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2011 re-submitted April 1st
AOR Received.
24-05-2011
File Transfer...
14-05-2011
Med's Done....
21-12-2010
LANDED..........
16-08-2011
I was living outside of Canada too, when we filled our papers. You can prove your relationship by adding any:
Skype messaging
photos from the wedding
pictures from travel you've taken together.

Copy your personal letters, postcards, messages.

They just need to see proof that your relationship is genuine not just an opportunity to get a visa. Add as many as possible of these physical proofs of your relationship and you will be fine.

Also, you can add her name on the bills (easy to change over the phone) and the title (ownership document) of the home (if you own one).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Crazypal said:
My wife lives outside Canada and we just got married, I am in the process of filling out the sponsorship application for her. In the "proof of relationship to sponsor" section of the checklist they are asking for one document from the three of the following sets:

4. shared employment insurance benefits
5. financial support
6. proof of relationship
As you can't provide the first 3, you need to find proofs to fit 4-6. Regarding #4, employment benefits is just one example of the type of proof, not the specific requirement. Have you supported her financially at all? Do you have any insurance where she can be named beneficiary?

arunsgirl said:
I was living outside of Canada too, when we filled our papers. You can prove your relationship by adding any:

They just need to see proof that your relationship is genuine not just an opportunity to get a visa. Add as many as possible of these physical proofs of your relationship and you will be fine.
The requirements are very different than when you applied in 2011. There are certain proofs that are now required; Skype calls and pictures are not enough.

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
One thing I did over the phone was called my bank and got a supplementary credit card in my husbands name. When it came to me in the mail, I took a picture of mine and his together and sent it in as proof. Covered the numbers of course but it showed the same type of card with our names. We didn't have a joint account at that time, nor was he on my insurance plan or house bills. Other than that I sent in phone records, skype, trip documents, about 20 pictures and we each typed a couple of paragraphs about how we met and how we spent our time together on visits and how when we couldn't be together physically.