+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language proficiency if English is a person's first language

zbob

Jun 7, 2009
How are applicants handling the language proficiency requirement if English is a person's first language? The guide says something about providing copies of degrees, transcripts, written documents, etc. I have a PhD from an accredited US university and it seems rather obvious that I would have English language proviciency. Do I still need to get certified copies of these documents?

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
You will have to submit results from ILETS unless you were born in an English speaking country (US, UK, Aus, among others). If you have completed a PhD you have nothing to worry about, you will obviously score high.

mom2karl

Star Member
May 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009 April
Med's Request
2009 July
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2009 November
LANDED..........
2010 March
even if you do not take the ielts exam and send a letter to prove your english proficiency, you will still have to send the notarized copies of your diplomas, degrees, etc.

zbob

Jun 7, 2009
Do I need to send these copies with the initial application or will they request later?

mom2karl

Star Member
May 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009 April
Med's Request
2009 July
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2009 November
LANDED..........
2010 March
They will request for this later once your application passed the initial assessment. For your initial submission, you will just send the completed application forms, photocopy of your passport (detail page), processing fee and 2 mailing labels.

CHLOEKTW

Jun 7, 2009
I would like to know if I need to take the ILETS test also. I was born in (Jamaica which is an english speaking country) but migrated to the U.S. at age 8, grew up in the U.S. and is a cititzen of this country.

mom2karl

Star Member
May 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009 April
Med's Request
2009 July
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2009 November
LANDED..........
2010 March
@chloektw,

Since you grew up in the US, by now you must have mastered English or use English as an American does. I believe you could just send a written submission that demonstrates your language proficiency in all four abilities: speaking, listening, reading and writing and not take IELTS anymore.

Diwar

Dec 2, 2008
You were born in an English speaking country (Jamaica) so you can submit a written language proficiency ...just say you were born in a English speaking country, educated in english blah blah blah the evidence would be there, just do the letter and submit with application.

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
CHC,London has asked for IELTS and my deadline is 22nd July.Unfortunately, i am unable to take the exam as my passport is at the Home office (UKBA) where I sent it for my extension of stay in the UK.I already mentioned this situation on the covering letter when I was submitting all docs with 90 days letter.Can anyone suggest me if I explain this situation again and show some evidences such as degree, MSc. certificate from the UK university and continuous stay for last 7 and 1/2 years in the UK shall I get a refusal or i will be called for an interview?

many thanks.