+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds and insurance on entering Canada

oscar1992

Oct 17, 2014
Hi guys, I'm hoping to travel to Canada by car from the U.S on a working holiday visa and was wondering what everyone's experiences were with being asked for proof of funds and insurance? It seems that nobody ever gets asked and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on insurance if it's not needed. I'm also not sure how I'm going to get proof of funds as I will be in the U.S for a few months before entering Canada and therefore can't get a letter from my bank. I mentioned that I'm driving into Canada because I'm wondering if it makes any different to flying. Possibly one or the other is more likely to ask for these documents?

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
The POE office may or may not ask you for the proof of insurance, as for the funds, well, it is less likely.

What you can do is to buy an insurance and cancel it once you enter Canada or may be just stay with it and be covered. Some of the Canadian insurance companies have the policy of a 10-day full refund prior the effective date.

You may take a look at this plan first and read the policy wording: TIC Travel Insurance

I am not sure whether it makes a difference if you enter by car or a plane. Does not seem to be a big problem if you drive up here anyways.

Last edited: