+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of financial support..

May 13, 2018
United States
Hello all,

I'm not currently through the process of studying in Canada but I do plan on moving after graduating High School in 2020. But for now I just have a few concerns about showing proof of financial support, and i'm pretty sure i'm reading it the right way, but..

1. Do I need to show exactly or more than 10,000 CDN when I apply for my permit?
- I've kind of been stressing over this because I know that I may not be able to accomplish this, as I am a busy person with my studies. (I am from the United States if anyone was curious)
2. Will I need to show bank statements?
- I know the cic.gc.ca website says that other forms of proving financial support include..
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student/education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past four months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.
- But it then goes on to say that you need the 10,000 CDN otherwise. I just need to make sure that maybe I can use the loans and some bank statements? I know I am a whole 2 years away from this, but I like to plan for the future as reaching Canada is my ultimate goal, thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to show that you have access to the funds to pay for the 1st year of tuition plus $10,000 for living expenses.