+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of financial support for study permit application

phoebengn

May 23, 2016
Hi all,
My parents would like to send my youngest brother to study in a secondary school in Canada. I would like to ask about the rough estimate of financial support that they need to show. My parents have 3 kids. Two of them are already in Canada (me and my sister). I'm a permanent resident (married with one kid, was an international student before) and my sister is a college international student (single). So basically, they still need to support my sister who is in college; and my brother, who will be going to high school. Do I need to show that I'm financially independent of my parents? At the moment, only my husband is working. I'm staying home to take care of the baby. Since my sister and myself are in Canada already, what is the likelihood that CIC will grant my brother a study permit?
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
With both you and your sister already in Canada, it may be quite difficult for your brother to be approved for a study permit. He will need to show strong ties to his home country to prove he has no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

If your parents are still supporting your sister's education, then they'll want to show an available bank balance that equals at least your brother's first year tuition + your sister's first year tuition + $20K (to cover both of their living expenses).

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's right. Home ties is pretty important.
You have to work on proving to the visa officer that he will return upon graduation and will not stay behind like you did.
Am sure you guys will do just fine.