+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of English language

bhumyinder

Star Member
Oct 4, 2010
Seniors please advise on the following:

1. I received the letter from CIO advising to further forward my application to New Delhi. I had proved the proficiency in english language according to CIO instructions by producing all my school and college transcripts and all my contract letters from employers including the communication emails and pay stubs. New Delhi checklist asks for IELTS certificate where as CIO already cleared my papers. Should i tell New Delhi to refer to the photcopy of the set sent to CIO?

2. Will my passport also go along with the set of documents to be sent to New Delhi?

3. I had gone to Ireland on a project for 2.5 months from one of my companies. Do i also need to mention this stay in my application or journey for such a short time if not mentioned is fine.

Please advise at the earliest. Thanks to all my seniors.

Regards

erikvirgo

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo Transferred to LA October 5, 2011
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2010 (date recvd by CHC Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
16-02-2010 1st AOR & 120day starts
AOR Received.
04-11-2010 2nd AOR
IELTS Request
Sent with App.
File Transfer...
24-02-2010 Transfer to Buffalo VO
Med's Request
22-11-2011 (Recevied from LA VO)
Med's Done....
22-12-2011 (Received by Ottawa)
Interview........
Not requested
Passport Req..
16-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
19-03-2012
LANDED..........
31-July-2012
I am not aware that proof of English Proficiency can be satisfied by presenting school transcripts and/or contact letters, etc.
Can you show that it is explicitly instructed by CIO?

The only way is to submit IELTS if your first language is not English. Or submit a written explanation/essay (which is very subjective and not recommended) that you have high level English Proficiency so that IELTS can be waived. Because in order for you to get the fair score for your English Proficiency - only IELTS gives absolute score, i.e. which band that you belong to so that CHC can give you the score enough for the FSW approval. Essay or other proof are very subjective and you can get score between 0 to 16.

After June 26, 2010 - everyone must submit IELTS.

Jbong

Nov 12, 2010
I am thinking to apply for PR under Federal Skilled Worker Class. Do I still have to do IELTS or whatever English proficiency test if I have BC highschool diploma have two years of studies at post secondary level in BC? Would be absurd if I have to do so because it gives a bad impression that Canada doesn't even trust their students can speak English??!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jbong said:
I am thinking to apply for PR under Federal Skilled Worker Class. Do I still have to do IELTS or whatever English proficiency test if I have BC highschool diploma have two years of studies at post secondary level in BC? Would be absurd if I have to do so because it gives a bad impression that Canada doesn't even trust their students can speak English??!!
Everyone has to submit IELTs after the 26/06/10 even if you born in the US and lived there all your life.

Gav

Jun 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 13, 2009
AOR Received.
13 Feb, 2010
File Transfer...
27 Jan 2010
Med's Request
5 oct 2010
Med's Done....
13 Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05 Oct 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2 Apr 2011
LANDED..........
11 May 2011
OK here we go..

1. I reckon you need to take IELTS test.
2. No your passport will not go with the application. High commission will ask for it in the final stages.
3. Yes you have to mention about your travel to Ireland .

Gav

bhumyinder said:

1. I received the letter from CIO advising to further forward my application to New Delhi. I had proved the proficiency in english language according to CIO instructions by producing all my school and college transcripts and all my contract letters from employers including the communication emails and pay stubs. New Delhi checklist asks for IELTS certificate where as CIO already cleared my papers. Should i tell New Delhi to refer to the photcopy of the set sent to CIO?

2. Will my passport also go along with the set of documents to be sent to New Delhi?

3. I had gone to Ireland on a project for 2.5 months from one of my companies. Do i also need to mention this stay in my application or journey for such a short time if not mentioned is fine.

Regards

bhumyinder

Star Member
Oct 4, 2010
Seniors just wanted to ask one thing, since my initial application was approved by CIO and also it was filed before June 26th 2010. Even after the CIO has approved do i still need to submit the language proficiency certificate.

Thanks

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
Sent with initial application
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
bhumyinder said:
Seniors just wanted to ask one thing, since my initial application was approved by CIO and also it was filed before June 26th 2010. Even after the CIO has approved do i still need to submit the language proficiency certificate.

Thanks
If it is asked in their letter, then yes.

bhumyinder

Star Member
Oct 4, 2010
Seniors.. my letter from CIO does not tell me to submit the language proficiency certificate, but tells me to submit all the docs required in the new delhi checklist. So while referring to the point of language proficiency in New Delhi checklist, shall i state to refer to the proofs submitted to CIO.

Please advise.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bhumyinder said:
Seniors.. my letter from CIO does not tell me to submit the language proficiency certificate, but tells me to submit all the docs required in the new delhi checklist. So while referring to the point of language proficiency in New Delhi checklist, shall i state to refer to the proofs submitted to CIO.

Please advise.
U may not take the IELTS & submit only a case statement for language proficiency - but that'd be an inconclusive proof. Wherein, u'd remain at the mercy of your VO to award u the language points.

Which might inconvenience u, if he awards u a lesser score... which may also lessen your total points, than 67.

IELTS confirms your language points.

Think about it!

Qorax

azaman

Sep 15, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 1 2010
Doc's Request.
October 6 2010
Nomination.....
Doc submit Nov 16, 2010
AOR Received.
January 11, 2011
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
In Process since Mar 7, 2012
Med's Request
November 28, 2012
Med's Done....
December 6, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sept 2, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 23, 2013
LANDED..........
October 6, 2013
qorax said:
U may not take the IELTS & submit only a case statement for language proficiency - but that'd be an inconclusive proof. Wherein, u'd remain at the mercy of your VO to award u the language points.

Which might inconvenience u, if he awards u a lesser score... which may also lessen your total points, than 67.

IELTS confirms your language points.

Think about it!

Qorax
Hi Qorax,

i took my ielts a bit early but since then i am in australia studying my 2nd masters at a university. do the vo will ask me to take the ielts test again or the old will be acceptable? i am sending a note mention this and previous study in the uk.

what do you think?

thanks

zaman

Oct 22, 2010
bhumyinder said:

Regards
You did not mention when the application was originally filed with the CIO.
There were 2 changes to the way language factor is handled over the last 8 months so it is an important piece of information.

Amir

canadaprocess

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

Everyone has to submit IELTs after the 26/06/10 even if you born in the US and lived there all your life.
I do see approvals for some people in the forum who has not submitted IELTS.

milinddesai
Category........: FSW1
Visa Office......: New Dehli
NOC Code......: 0213
App. Filed.......: 04/11/09
AOR Received.: 13/01/10 & 05/10/10
IELTS Request: Not Required
File Transfer...: 05/10/10
Med's Request: 27/09/10
Med's Done....: 08/10/10
Interview........: Waived
Passport Req..: 27/09/10

bhumyinder: If you know any updates on this please share with me

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
azaman said:
Hi Qorax,

i took my ielts a bit early but since then i am in australia studying my 2nd masters at a university. do the vo will ask me to take the ielts test again or the old will be acceptable? i am sending a note mention this and previous study in the uk.

what do you think?

thanks

zaman
The IELTS Result is valid for 1 yr. If u have submitted it already - there's nothing to worry.

Qorax