+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process to get a nanny

myblau

Oct 3, 2014
I would like to hire a living in nanny from Hong Kong. I just got the business number. What are the next steps?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Follow the instructions on this link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/hire/caregiver.asp

myblau

Oct 3, 2014
Thanks. The link is very informative.

Taking visa seems to be 6 months. What about LMIA? Do I apply LMIA and visa at the same time or must get approval on LMIA first?

ankursapra

Nov 14, 2012
myblau said:
Thanks. The link is very informative.

Taking visa seems to be 6 months. What about LMIA? Do I apply LMIA and visa at the same time or must get approval on LMIA first?
After Business No. You need to put an ad for a live in caregiver on Job bank, Indeed, and Kijiji.. You need to prove that you couldn't find any suitable candidate in Canada. Make sure the job posting states no. of working hours, job responsibilities, how much money you will pay per hour.. how much qualifications etc etc. Just keep record of all the CV"s with you.

After 4 weeks, you can apply for LMIA. your nanny in hk also needs to sign on one of the pages. Wait for LMIA and if you get positive LMIA, your nanny in HK needs to apply for a work permit in HK visa office. I am posting the email that I received from them in terms of enquiring about work permit.

If you have obtained an LMO and need more information about submitting a work permit application to the Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong and Macao, please consult How to submit an application.

Note that the Immigration Section of the Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong has specific requirements for live-in caregivers apply to this office. Verify the requirements on the Document Checklist. For VAC-submitted applications, the original education certificates are required. For online applications, upload the copy of the educational certificate with a certified translation if necessary.

Canada Visa Application Centres (VACs) are now open to serve you. All temporary resident (visitor visa, study or work permit) and permanent resident travel document applications may be submitted to the VAC. For information on available services, including acceptable methods of payment, please refer to the following links:

Canada Visa Application Centre, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Canada Visa Application Centre, Taipei, Taiwan

See this link... your nanny needs all these documents to apply for a work permit
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/hong_kong/visas/live_in_caregivers-aide_familial_residant.aspx?lang=eng

Hope this helps...

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We will shortly get visas and we want to bring our nanny from Hong Kong. We're familiar with the process but I have a few questions I wonder if anyone can help:

1. Do we need to land as PRs before applying for LMIA? Could we start now, advertise the position, get the LMIA and then lodge the visa application before we even land?

2. We have brought our nanny to Canada before while we were just visiting. She got a visa to do so. Could she use this visa to accompany us while we land and for short trips in and out of Canada after we become PRs?

Thanks for any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. You can start now.
2. She can use the visitor visa to come to Canada as a tourist but she cannot work for you as a nanny (or in any other capacity) while on the visitor visa. If she does work, she will be working illegally and will put her status in Canada (as well as her work permit application) in jeopardy.

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
1. You can start now.
2. She can use the visitor visa to come to Canada as a tourist but she cannot work for you as a nanny (or in any other capacity) while on the visitor visa. If she does work, she will be working illegally and will put her status in Canada (as well as her work permit application) in jeopardy.
Scylla as usual you are on the ball! +1 and thanks. Some follow up:

1. It's good we can start now, but my understanding is we need an address in Canada to apply for the LMIA. We don't yet have housing in Canada, thus we have no address. Is there any way to start the LMIA process without an address?

2. Understand she cannot work while as a visitor, but we got a visa for our former nanny as a "business visitor" while we ourselves were visitors to Canada. Would this sort of visa work for her for short trips, if we are no longer visitors but PRs?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. I assumed you already had housing in Canada. I don't know if there is any way to start without a permanent address in Canada. Hopefully someone else will comment.
2. No - business visitor won't work in this case since you are now PRs and will be living in Canada. She needs to go through the LMIA + work permit process before she will be able to legally work in Canada for you. It was different when you were just visitors to Canada and she was accompanying you. Back then role she was doing wasn't a "Canadian" job and therefore there was no issue with creating competition for those already part of the Canadian workforce. Once you are PRs and in Canada, the job becomes a Canadian job and a foreign worker cannot take the job without going through the official process (i.e. LMIA).

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
1. I assumed you already had housing in Canada. I don't know if there is any way to start without a permanent address in Canada. Hopefully someone else will comment.
2. No - business visitor won't work in this case since you are now PRs and will be living in Canada. She needs to go through the LMIA + work permit process before she will be able to legally work in Canada for you. It was different when you were just visitors to Canada and she was accompanying you. Back then role she was doing wasn't a "Canadian" job and therefore there was no issue with creating competition for those already part of the Canadian workforce. Once you are PRs and in Canada, the job becomes a Canadian job and a foreign worker cannot take the job without going through the official process (i.e. LMIA).
It's great you have these answers because they don't seem to exist elsewhere on the internet and even ICCRC registered nanny agents don't seem to know! Wish I could +1 you again.

We COULD get an address in Canada now, we were just there as visitors and saw a house for rent that we love, but it would sit empty as we can't land until July. So as long as we have an address we can apply for LMIA even if we aren't yet landed PRs?

What if we changed addresses within the same city during her employment? Would a new LMIA or visa be required?

So regarding "business visitor" status, that means she can't even accompany us during our landing, right? It's annoying as we will travel in the US before our landing and she'll come with us (she already has a US visa), but then when we go to Canada to do our landing she couldn't accompany us, then what are we going to do with her until we leave Canada to return to HK? We plan to stay in Canada only a week to arrange some things then return probably in September.

Really troublesome.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would avoid using the business visa to have her enter Canada - especially accompanying you - that looks like clear intent to work to me (just giving you an outsider's perspective). You don't want to end up in a situation where CBSA accuses her of abusing the rules by trying to enter Canada to work for you before she's allowed to do so - and issues the illegal work ban (which is six months).

She could take a week off while you come to Canada for a week to land.

No - you don't need a new LMIA if you change addresses.

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
I would avoid using the business visa to have her enter Canada - especially accompanying you - that looks like clear intent to work to me (just giving you an outsider's perspective). You don't want to end up in a situation where CBSA accuses her of abusing the rules by trying to enter Canada to work for you before she's allowed to do so - and issues the illegal work ban (which is six months).

She could take a week off while you come to Canada for a week to land.

No - you don't need a new LMIA if you change addresses.
I totally agree on the business visitor visa point.

If we don't need a new LMIA if we change addresses, why do we need the exact address where we will live in the first place?