+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems with delivery of application to CIO

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
Hi everyone,

I believe I'm in quite a conundrum right now. I sent my application about a week ago on July 16 via xPresspot, in which I addressed it to the PO Box address of the CIO in Sydney, NS.

It's been more than a week now, and when I look up the tracking number on the Canada Post website, the last update shows that the item has been processed at a postal facility in NS on July 19. This concerned me and so I looked up the PO Box address on the Canada Post website, and lo and behold, it is not existent, which is very weird... and I'm getting quite worried now about my application.

Any help or advice on what should my next steps be?

Thanks!

sygogooma

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-27-2013
AOR Received.
08-20-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Med's Request
02-14-2014
Med's Done....
02-20-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Exempted
LANDED..........
03-10-2014
I think sending your docs via Xpressport @ Canada Post is deemed as a courier mail.
Courier mails cannot be sent to PO Box as there is no receiver at the PO Box.
If you go all the way down on the list of mailing address for your documents, you will find:

Courier address
Centralized Intake Office
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, NS B1P 5Z2
Canada

I called CIC to inquire this before I sent my docs via UPS.

I hope you have made duplicate copies for all of your docs.
Good luck.

YoungJC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Passport Req..
03/03/2014
VISA ISSUED...
03/26/2014
LANDED..........
03/31/2014
dunnoyet said:
Hi everyone,

I believe I'm in quite a conundrum right now. I sent my application about a week ago on July 16 via xPresspot, in which I addressed it to the PO Box address of the CIO in Sydney, NS.

It's been more than a week now, and when I look up the tracking number on the Canada Post website, the last update shows that the item has been processed at a postal facility in NS on July 19. This concerned me and so I looked up the PO Box address on the Canada Post website, and lo and behold, it is not existent, which is very weird... and I'm getting quite worried now about my application.

Thanks!
The previous post is right. If you had scrolled all the way down, you would have noticed that courier mail and regular mail are sent to different addresses. Never the less, if you sent it by expresspost, the envelope would have a portion for a return address, which you probably filled out. Your package will come back to you, in about a weeks time, and you then can send it to the proper address. Just be a little bit more thorough next time before you send out an application

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
YoungJC said:
The previous post is right. If you had scrolled all the way down, you would have noticed that courier mail and regular mail are sent to different addresses. Never the less, if you sent it by expresspost, the envelope would have a portion for a return address, which you probably filled out. Your package will come back to you, in about a weeks time, and you then can send it to the proper address. Just be a little bit more thorough next time before you send out an application
Ideally you should sent the xpresspost to courier address, But from previous users experience ,your xpresspost will be delivered to CIC even though you have mentioned the post box address.

Regarding the Canada post tracking i also faced the same issue , it took 1 weeks to update the status.
Mostly your package might have delivered already , Try calling Canada post call center they will help you getting some more status. Don't forget claim refund .

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
Yes, indeed, I've seen both delivery address being successful, so without a second thought I entered the PO Box address (not sure what drove me to do so though). I'd imagine if it's undeliverable the status would have been updated to reflect that.

Regardless, I do have copies of every form, so I'm not too worried besides the fact that I've just delayed my application even further. :(

kaytea

Star Member
Jan 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
AOR Received.
14-05-2013
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2014
LANDED..........
19-01-2014
I did the same thing.
But both places are like within 5 mins walking distance, so mine was delivered even though i wrote the PO box address.
It got delayed for a few days (and it sucked cuz it was during long weekend).
Canada Post gave me full refund.

july13Applicant

Jul 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
11-09-2013
Med's Request
27 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
10 Mar 2014
Passport Req..
3 April 2014
I don't think xpresspost to PO Box is a problem, I did the same and it was received by CIO, there is even a signature in the tracker. So its possible that it was delivered to the courier address automatically. The Canada post guy told me that we know this address so it shouldn't be a problem.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Xpress post is Canada Post, not a courier service like Fedex - and they are the only ones who deliver to a PO Box.

The issue is Canada Post's tracking, which others have commented on. I've had packages tracked as "delivered" a day or two before I actually receive them, and others that I receive but are never marked as delivered.

If you want to use Xpress post (because it is quite a bit cheaper), for your immigration application, I'd say it's worth a few extra $$$ for the peace of mind - use Fedex.

AnilGurung

Nov 9, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPO-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-1-2014
Med's Done....
05-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/2014
LANDED..........
1/03/2014
i used UPS for mine..
it was signed by Dexter.
I got my AOR already therefore it got to the destination as stated.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
dunnoyet said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
from what I have heard from Canada post and it worked for me as well is that xpress post is a regular mail (just faster) unless you ask a signature to be made to the file....so if you send it to PO Box you should not ask for signature...ironically on mine it still showed the signature automatically