+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

principal applicant die

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
What will happen if the principal applicant die? Can the dependents enter canada?
This is the story. Help me god! we have just been granted a PR then my husband completed his landing already, then as a wife I enter canada next to be reunited with my most beloved husband but after a days of being together he died in a car accident. Its very hard for me to talk about this but my concern is that, can a PR visa be revoke if the principal died? Our children was still back home and we planned to bring them here soon but this thing happened, can they still come here to complete landing requirement to become a PR even the father was gone?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sorry to hear what happened. :(

As far as I know, the derivate applicants can land after the principal applicant. I'm not sure what happens when the principal applicant has died. You could go over and try; I don't think they would ask if the principal applicant is still alive, and not volunteering the information is not misrepresentation or lying.

Perhaps someone else here has some more definite information?

ymanoelpia said:
What will happen if the principal applicant die? Can the dependents enter canada?
This is the story. Help me god! we have just been granted a PR then my husband completed his landing already, then as a wife I enter canada next to be reunited with my most beloved husband but after a days of being together he died in a car accident. Its very hard for me to talk about this but my concern is that, can a PR visa be revoke if the principal died? Our children was still back home and we planned to bring them here soon but this thing happened, can they still come here to complete landing requirement to become a PR even the father was gone?

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
Any answers will be appreciated coz it already concerns about our childrens future. My husband works so hard and did everything just to be able to bring his family here. We thought that after so many years we will be reunited again and will start a new life here but just 5 days after I came here he passed awa, the sad thing is that he was not able to see our children vice versa. I am already here in Canada that's why I would like to know if our children can come here and start a our new life without their father. I don't want to waste all what my beloved husband sacrifices just to give us better future coz he thought that the realization of our dreams are here in Canada but it seems like all that had happened was a nightmare. Maybe someday I can see Canada in a better perspective. I don't Blane Canada but all this pains happened here and maybe it would also be healed here.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
sorry to hear your story.
as far as I know children can land without a principal applicant, they just need a person accompanying them. I would suggest for you to get your PR card received and then travel and collect the kids, then make their landing.
I don't think they will ask for the main applicant at the border, especially if both of you are their parents. The only issue that can arise - the customs at your country might ask for the kids' father's consent to leave the country and you will have to show them the certificate that he passed away. I don't know if they on Canadian border ask for the consent to enter - this issue must be investigated in advance. You might need to phone Canadian Border Service.

optimusprime

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
hi ymanoelpia, extending my condolences to you. i do hope you are doing fine. goodluck with bringing the kids in canada.

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
Looked over CIC's manuals and there isn't any reference in case this happened. I think this is best left to an immigration lawyer. I read about a similar case where the principal applicant died and his wife and children weren't granted PR but he himself hadn't become a PR, he died before he received the passport or before landing, can't remember exactly. Your case is different than this so don't take this as what will happen to you. I would expect CIC to turn to you to demonstrate your ability to maintain a lifestyle for your children and yourself in Canada but this is just my hopeful guess.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zygurn said:
Looked over CIC's manuals and there isn't any reference in case this happened. I think this is best left to an immigration lawyer. I read about a similar case where the principal applicant died and his wife and children weren't granted PR but he himself hadn't become a PR, he died before he received the passport or before landing, can't remember exactly. Your case is different than this so don't take this as what will happen to you. I would expect CIC to turn to you to demonstrate your ability to maintain a lifestyle for your children and yourself in Canada but this is just my hopeful guess.
From the OP's original post it appears that she has already "landed" Therefor the death of the principal applicant has no effect on the children, they can "land" as long as there COPR is still valid.

PMM

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
Yes, that's what I figured but I wasn't entirely sure and didn't want to give her false hope but having PMM's confirmation helps, I suppose. The only thing is that is now up to the OP to keep the children in Canada now.

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
Thank you guys for all your efforts. I already phoned cic and confirmed that there will be no problem as to childrens entry as we both parents are landed immigrant. I need to bring my husbands body home that's why I must exit Canada before recieving my pr card. They just suggest to get temp travel doc for me to enter into Canada again. I came here alone and excited coz I will be with my husband after yrs of separation but now were going home feeling that the worst nightmare of our lives happened in the country where many people dreamed about

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I know that no words in this world can soothe your pain now. Such is life with all its downs and ups. Hope you still will find a happy future in Canada with your kids. Please do keep us updated. Best of luck to you and your family.

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
I am planning to go back to Canada with the kids by march. We will be bringing my husband ashes back in Canada to fulfill our dreams of being together as a family there. My question is that, what are the paperworks am I going to prepare for us to be able to bring him with us? Does it have any effects on the landing of our children since I am going to declare that it's their fathers ash and that ge is the principal applicant? Living in Canada would not be a problem for us coz my husband already prepared everything for us after all I can still work for our living.