+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary spouse laid off from work. Eligibility of SOWP spouse for Ontario Nomination Program.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, my spouse is on Spouse Open Work Permit and currently has a job in a bank in Toronto. I was on a closed intra-company work permit and got laid off from my work. Is my spouse eligible for Ontario nomination program under "OINP: Foreign workers stream"?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-employer-job-offer-foreign-worker-stream#section-2
Yes. If eligible with job offer and employer (eligible and willing), high enough OINP score and NOC selected. If a major bank, they will not sign off on OINP nomination. Banks are not willing to go through the process. She would want to find another employer.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

akashayc

May 24, 2024
Yes. If eligible with job offer and employer (eligible and willing), high enough OINP score and NOC selected. If a major bank, they will not sign off on OINP nomination. Banks are not willing to go through the process. She would want to find another employer.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, she is with a major bank. So for OINP nomination the bank only have to give a job offer right? Or do they have to do something else?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Yes, she is with a major bank. So for OINP nomination the bank only have to give a job offer right? Or do they have to do something else?
Job offer is not enough. Canadian banks will not support OINP nomination. Given the information and forms they have to fill out (providing HR process and CRA documents as examples), banks will not fill out and sign the OINP employer forms.

Reactions: akashayc

akashayc

May 24, 2024
Job offer is not enough. Canadian banks will not support OINP nomination. Given the information and forms they have to fill out (providing HR process and CRA documents as examples), banks will not fill out and sign the OINP employer forms.
Got it. Thanks for your response.