+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary occupation NOC and eligibility date (EE FSW)

umair6594

May 28, 2018
Hi,
I am in the process of filling out an application for EE under the FSW option.

My question is related to the what NOC to choose in the Primary Occupation section of the application.

I hold a recent PhD in an engineering field from the US (Aug 2018), and have been working as a postdoc in Canada since July 2018. During my PhD, I worked as Research Assistant (RA) for 4 years (this was paid job with benefits + tax deductions).

When filling out work experience info of my former (and current) job experiences in the EE application, I am using the following NOC:
4011 for 3 months of postdoc work in Canada
4012 for 4 years of RA work in the US

Now the question is about what NOC to use for the Primary Occupation section.

The info on the application website is:

"Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code) (required) Help - Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code)

This means the job XYZ has experience in and wants to base the immigration application on. This is how we will determine your eligibility for federal programs. You will need to know the job title and the NOC for the primary occupation and for any other jobs you add, as well as for any job offe
r."

Also, there is second question:

"
Date XYZ first became qualified to practice in this occupation"

If I choose 4011 for my primary occupation, my experience in this NOC is only for a couple of months and the date I became eligible for this job (post-doc) is also only a couple of months ago (assuming PhD graduation date as eligibility date). So I am not sure if I should use this NOC for my primary occupation.

If I choose 4012 for my primary occupation, I have four years of experience, and the eligibility date could be dated back to the time when I earned my BSc, which is around 2012. So this seems appropriate.

Any advice on which NOC from those who have been in a similar situation or any additional info/pointers would be very helpful.

Lastly, using the CRS calculator to estimate my score gives around 490 which is above the threshold. I am using only the following info to estimate my score:
Age + IELTS score + PHD + 3 years foreign work experience.
For the question "if you have a Canadian Job Offer?", I am answering no in the CRS calculator as of now.
Do you think I would get any points for the current job if my primary occupation NOC is 4012, but the postdoc falls in 4011?

Waiting for responses.

The Advisor

Oct 15, 2018
You gonna use NOC 4011 no matter what was your previous NOC. If your CRS 490, then dont bother about other stuffs, you gonna be invited once you submit an app.

Best

Raslan Kain

Jun 16, 2021
Hi,
I am in the process of filling out an application for EE under the FSW option.

My question is related to the what NOC to choose in the Primary Occupation section of the application.

I hold a recent PhD in an engineering field from the US (Aug 2018), and have been working as a postdoc in Canada since July 2018. During my PhD, I worked as Research Assistant (RA) for 4 years (this was paid job with benefits + tax deductions).

When filling out work experience info of my former (and current) job experiences in the EE application, I am using the following NOC:
4011 for 3 months of postdoc work in Canada
4012 for 4 years of RA work in the US

Now the question is about what NOC to use for the Primary Occupation section.

The info on the application website is:

"Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code) (required) Help - Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code)

This means the job XYZ has experience in and wants to base the immigration application on. This is how we will determine your eligibility for federal programs. You will need to know the job title and the NOC for the primary occupation and for any other jobs you add, as well as for any job offe
r."

Also, there is second question:

"Date XYZ first became qualified to practice in this occupation"

If I choose 4011 for my primary occupation, my experience in this NOC is only for a couple of months and the date I became eligible for this job (post-doc) is also only a couple of months ago (assuming PhD graduation date as eligibility date). So I am not sure if I should use this NOC for my primary occupation.

If I choose 4012 for my primary occupation, I have four years of experience, and the eligibility date could be dated back to the time when I earned my BSc, which is around 2012. So this seems appropriate.

Any advice on which NOC from those who have been in a similar situation or any additional info/pointers would be very helpful.

Lastly, using the CRS calculator to estimate my score gives around 490 which is above the threshold. I am using only the following info to estimate my score:
Age + IELTS score + PHD + 3 years foreign work experience.
For the question "if you have a Canadian Job Offer?", I am answering no in the CRS calculator as of now.
Do you think I would get any points for the current job if my primary occupation NOC is 4012, but the postdoc falls in 4011?

Waiting for responses.
Did you use NOC 4011 or 4012? I have work experience in NOC 4012, but I'm not sure what the date of qualification is supposed to be. Is it when I got my bachelor's? or when I started my masters? the reason I think it is the second is that the requirement for NOC 4012 is enrolment in a university. You may check here: https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=4012&CST=01012011&CLV=3&MLV=4