Visa Office......
Tel Aviv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-04-2016
My brother is Canadian (but not by birth/by our Canadian mother). He lives and works in East Africa. He has been in a serious relationship for over 1 year, and this Christmas past (2017) he and his girlfriend (New Zealand) came to visit the family in Canada (sister/mother/father).

The intention of the visit (other than family) was to check out Canada as an option for them to put down roots. Now they are trying to figure out the best timing & method to move to Canada with an important factor being that they will both be parents in 7 months.

1. I understand that if they were to marry soon, they would still be unable to apply Outland or Inland since the wife will not be able/willing to comply to an x-ray while pregnant. However, is it true, that the sponsorship application can be sent in, with a letter stating they will comply with having an x-ray after the birth?
If that last part is allowed, then an inland sponsorship can be a good option for them.

2. I have read on the forum someone advising that if a couple intends to apply through the Inland sponsorship path, that it is best for the non-Canadian partner to arrive as a Visitor with a return ticket and NOT be married to their Canadian partner. The advice follows that the couple should marry only in Canada. Is this generally accepted advice under these circumstances? Or is it equally okay to marry abroad and then come in as a visitor?

3. Ideally, they would like to arrange everything so that the mother will have health benefits by the time of the birth. However, it seems that the "fastest" way is --> inland sponsorship --> Open Work Permit --> Job --> 3 months after that, health care kicks in (Ontario). Have I missed anything?

4. Does anyone have an estimate of the Hospital bill for the cost of the birth (with and without complications). I understand its a guesstimate. I've seen as little as 5k, up to 100,000K.

We appreciate all those who can help with our questions. We've re-re-reread the canada.ca website...but it's just not nuanced enough!

Thanks,
Bronwen

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My brother is Canadian (but not by birth/by our Canadian mother). He lives and works in East Africa. He has been in a serious relationship for over 1 year, and this Christmas past (2017) he and his girlfriend (New Zealand) came to visit the family in Canada (sister/mother/father).

The intention of the visit (other than family) was to check out Canada as an option for them to put down roots. Now they are trying to figure out the best timing & method to move to Canada with an important factor being that they will both be parents in 7 months.

1. I understand that if they were to marry soon, they would still be unable to apply Outland or Inland since the wife will not be able/willing to comply to an x-ray while pregnant. However, is it true, that the sponsorship application can be sent in, with a letter stating they will comply with having an x-ray after the birth?
If that last part is allowed, then an inland sponsorship can be a good option for them.

2. I have read on the forum someone advising that if a couple intends to apply through the Inland sponsorship path, that it is best for the non-Canadian partner to arrive as a Visitor with a return ticket and NOT be married to their Canadian partner. The advice follows that the couple should marry only in Canada. Is this generally accepted advice under these circumstances? Or is it equally okay to marry abroad and then come in as a visitor?

3. Ideally, they would like to arrange everything so that the mother will have health benefits by the time of the birth. However, it seems that the "fastest" way is --> inland sponsorship --> Open Work Permit --> Job --> 3 months after that, health care kicks in (Ontario). Have I missed anything?

4. Does anyone have an estimate of the Hospital bill for the cost of the birth (with and without complications). I understand its a guesstimate. I've seen as little as 5k, up to 100,000K.

We appreciate all those who can help with our questions. We've re-re-reread the canada.ca website...but it's just not nuanced enough!

Thanks,
Bronwen
1. They can apply. When the medical is requested, if she chooses not to have the x-ray, she will do everything else and then have the x-ray after the birth.

2. Not sure where you read that. Doesn't matter if they marry abroad and she comes as a visitor.

3. There is not really a fast way to get OHIP. There is little chance that she will have health coverage in time for the birth.

4. $5000-$10000 for a normal birth. Sky is the limit if there are complications.

Reactions: BAR82

BAR82

Jan 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-04-2016
1. They can apply. When the medical is requested, if she chooses not to have the x-ray, she will do everything else and then have the x-ray after the birth.

2. Not sure where you read that. Doesn't matter if they marry abroad and she comes as a visitor.

Thanks Canuck_in_uk

About point #2 -So if they married abroad and my brother returned to live in Canada, his wife could then arrive as a visitor and if asked at customs is within her right to say she actually plans to stay in Canada with her husband and they will be sending in their inland application?
I thought this was ground for refusal by customs since she is legally still only on a visitor visa.

Thanks!
Bronwen

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Thanks,
Bronwen
1 - Hope she realizes that she'll get more radiation exposure on the flight from NZ to Toronto, vs portion of the chest x-ray that would get close to her uterus area.
But if she doesn't want the x-ray, yes IRCC will allow her to defer this medical portion to after the birth.

2 - She can get married anywhere. CBSA doesn't ban married spouses from entering Canada. She also doesn't need to volunteer all the information about applying inland for PR, she can simply state she's travelling to Canada as a visitor to visit his family.

3/4 - Pretty much zero chance to have OHIP in time for birth. After they get married and are inside Canada, getting the marriage certificate and putting the INLAND PR app together may take a while. Then after mailing it with the OWP app, the OWP takes 3-4 months to arrive in the mail. Then she would need to secure a full time job with an employment letter, and only then could possibly apply for OHIP which then has another 3 month wait.

So count on paying for entire delivery out of pocket. As mentioned $10K is a safe bet for all the pregnancy care + delivery if everything goes perfectly normal and have a natural delivery, however if complications (like c-section) or requiring extended hospital stay, add tens of thousands more.

She can also try to find a midwife who can offer their services free even to those without OHIP. However midwives are in very high demand in Ontario, so if requesting after already a few months pregnant you will probably just end up on a waiting list.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuck_in_uk

About point #2 -So if they married abroad and my brother returned to live in Canada, his wife could then arrive as a visitor and if asked at customs is within her right to say she actually plans to stay in Canada with her husband and they will be sending in their inland application?
I thought this was ground for refusal by customs since she is legally still only on a visitor visa.

Thanks!
Bronwen

She will be entering as a visitor; at that point, she will not yet have the right to move to or live in Canada. The key with CBSA is to not volunteer information. If the officer asks further questions, she can say that she is VISITING her Canadian spouse while they apply for spousal sponsorship. She should pay the full PR fees and have the receipt ready in case.

Reactions: BAR82 and CarrieK

BAR82

Jan 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-04-2016