+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRC card Problem?

birdwings

Sep 13, 2010
Hi,

I am sharing this recent problem, reported by a close friend:
While arriving at the airport, this canadian resident (PRC card holder since 2006) was transferred to immigration (for no obvious reason, since most passengers just made it through). While at immigration, he was asked to wait because there is a 'problem with his old format PRC card'. He was told that his card is not being recognized, and that this has happened before with others with the 'older PRC card model'. The agent made several calls back and forth, and the gentleman waited for literally one hour, with his pregnant wife (PRC card holder herself), who did not have this problem, but the immigration official refused to let her through, because she was listed as accompanying her unlucky husband. After one hour of delay, he was told that this was taking too long to verify - from their end, and that they will let him through, and call him if there is a problem.
The whole experience was bizzare and insulting since this person has used this card on at least 4 trips before, with no problems, and has been living in Canada for several years with no legal problems, either. He suspects ethnic profiling, or something similar, but still that is not a clear enough explanation. I am wondering if anyone has heard of such problems before.
Is he entitled for at least an apology or an explanation?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

birdwings said:
Hi,

I am sharing this recent problem, reported by a close friend:
While arriving at the airport, this canadian resident (PRC card holder since 2006) was transferred to immigration (for no obvious reason, since most passengers just made it through). While at immigration, he was asked to wait because there is a 'problem with his old format PRC card'. He was told that his card is not being recognized, and that this has happened before with others with the 'older PRC card model'. The agent made several calls back and forth, and the gentleman waited for literally one hour, with his pregnant wife (PRC card holder herself), who did not have this problem, but the immigration official refused to let her through, because she was listed as accompanying her unlucky husband. After one hour of delay, he was told that this was taking too long to verify - from their end, and that they will let him through, and call him if there is a problem.
The whole experience was bizzare and insulting since this person has used this card on at least 4 trips before, with no problems, and has been living in Canada for several years with no legal problems, either. He suspects ethnic profiling, or something similar, but still that is not a clear enough explanation. I am wondering if anyone has heard of such problems before.
Is he entitled for at least an apology or an explanation?
It appears your friend has a pretty thin skin. His card didn't register, so it is Immigration's job to determine if it is valid. It can take time, Does he expect an apology if he has to wait in a line at the border? the bank? the grocery store?