+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR valid only 3 months!?

Svaba

Apr 22, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently received a confirmation of PR (digital) and I was/am very happy about it. However, on the application is written that my expiry date is 2021/09/01. I expected that expiry date will be 5 years.
I know that my passport will expiry at the same time (2021/09/01), but when I applied for PR my passport was still valid for almost 1 year and a half (they say that it needs to be valid at least one year).

I have been calling IRCC but I couldn't get through. My question is will I get PR card with the same expiry date on it?....and what should I do to get PR card with 5 years asap?

I already asked for a new Passport. I would like to get a PR card as soon as possible (with 5 years of expiry date) that I can travel to Europ to visit my family, and I plan to go in September, and as I know it is not smart to leave the country if you dont have a PR card.

Any tips what should I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Rok

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
I think you are mixing up the expiration date of your COPR and of the PR card itself, a COPR being valid for a year or until the expiration of the passport used for your PR application. You PR card should have a validity of 5 years when you receive it.

Svaba

Apr 22, 2020
Thank you @sgolsmith for your answer which makes sense.
Now I am facing another challenge - I haven't received PR card yet, and my eCoPR will expire on Sep-1, 2021 (because it is linked with previous Passport which expire on the same day). I have my new Passport, but I am not sure what would be the fastest way to get a PR card? I am still hoping that I will receive it before Sep-1....I would desperately like to visit my family in EU in September (Also close relative died :/ ), and I dont know what to do?

Any suggestions? ...and I cant reach IRCC call center:/