+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status /Residency Obligation/ IRCC Contact Requests

Apr 12, 2021
Hi All,

I was present in Canada for 727 days but came back in Nov 2019 due to a family emergency and was on EI and I was put on Leave and finally till Feb 2020, Since then I was not present in Canada due to covid and travel situations. My PR card expires on April 2022 but 'became a PR' date 12-March-2017, my questions concerns are the following;

a. Do I have any IRCC web link or phone I can contact and ask for formal enquiry if can ask for PRTD post expiry of PR card?
b. Is IRCC considering any time lived outside Canada due to flights ban, covid restrictions for stranded PRs and giving any extensions?
c. If I travel now what is my last date to travel considering that I became PR on 12-March-2017, Is it 09-March-2022 or any later?
d. What are the chances of renewal of PR status if I don't go back in time and there is nothing that can be done? I was on EI and worked till Feb 2020 as per the experience letter but was physically not present in Canada. Will the time spent outside but still on the job (EI mostly), can count towards residency obligation?

Very Thanks
Nick

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi All,

I was present in Canada for 727 days but came back in Nov 2019 due to a family emergency and was on EI and I was put on Leave and finally till Feb 2020, Since then I was not present in Canada due to covid and travel situations. My PR card expires on April 2022 but 'became a PR' date 12-March-2017, my questions concerns are the following;

a. Do I have any IRCC web link or phone I can contact and ask for formal enquiry if can ask for PRTD post expiry of PR card?
b. Is IRCC considering any time lived outside Canada due to flights ban, covid restrictions for stranded PRs and giving any extensions?
c. If I travel now what is my last date to travel considering that I became PR on 12-March-2017, Is it 09-March-2022 or any later?
d. What are the chances of renewal of PR status if I don't go back in time and there is nothing that can be done? I was on EI and worked till Feb 2020 as per the experience letter but was physically not present in Canada. Will the time spent outside but still on the job (EI mostly), can count towards residency obligation?

Very Thanks
Nick
1.-
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
2.-
No
3.-
You are still permanent resident
Your PR Card is still valid
You have until march 2022 to enter to Canada
You might be reported
4.-
very low

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Last edited:
Reactions: sikkanikhil1984
Apr 12, 2021
I was on Family Caregiving benefits NOT on the regular EI or CERB or anything. and it was duly notified and there was nothing wrong with that even if I was outside Canada. I never applied for Covid Assistance as I am well aware of the rules. Thanks for the response to other questions.