+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status determination upon arrival

manou67

Oct 23, 2013
Thank you Leon and Msafari for all the advices and help you have been giving.
I want you to advise me about my situation.
I am PR of Canada since 24 August 2010. I have stayed till 17th September and went back to my country (25 days)
I came back on 4th February and stayed for 1 week (8 days).
I am travelling back to Montreal on Nov 8th. I bought a round trip ticket.
I recognize that I didn' t fulfil the residence obligation of 730 days but still hold a valid PR card which expires on October 2015.
Would I have any problem when entering the airport? Would the immigration officer reports me or denies me enterance?
This time I have the intention to stay full two years. Can I apply to renew the PR card once I have accumulated the 730 days of residence obligation?

I have been paying my taxes for the past 2 years and couldn't go back; due to the illness of mother (Parkinson disease at the last stage) and also my mother in law got breast cancer, went through surgery and got a breast ablation, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Also, last April my young sister in law passed away. All this have prevented me to go back early.
Your advice is much valuable for me to take decision whether my family (wife and 3 children) will join me at the beginning of December.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible that you will be reported on entry but with your circumstances, you may be allowed to keep your PR anyway. If you are not reported on entry, chances are that you will be called for an interview if you apply to sponsor your family while not meeting the residency requirements yourself. If you want to do this, if you get in this time, just make sure you stay your 2 years this time.

manou67

Oct 23, 2013
Thank you Leon for your prompt reply.
I just forgot to mention that my family also holds the PR status of Canada and will join me at the beginning of December. They are in the same case as mine as with respect to the days spent in Canada.
Will they be reported or denied entry at the border?
Reporting someone that is means withdrawing its PR status?
Thank you to make things more clear.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manou67 said:
Thank you Leon for your prompt reply.
I just forgot to mention that my family also holds the PR status of Canada and will join me at the beginning of December. They are in the same case as mine as with respect to the days spent in Canada.
Will they be reported or denied entry at the border?
Reporting someone that is means withdrawing its PR status?
Thank you to make things more clear.
They may be reported, no guarantees. All they can do is explain to immigration if asked if they meet the residency requirements that they had to take care of sick mother / mother in law and so they have mitigating circumstances.

Being reported means that immigration looks into revoking your PR. You would be allowed to appeal showing your proof of taking care of sick relatives. If they accept your reasons, you keep your PR. Otherwise, if you lose the appeal, you lose your PR and must leave Canada.