+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal living in US

PRinUSA

Jan 18, 2018
Hi,

I've been a Canadian Permanent Resident since 2008. My last renewal was early 2013. PR is due to expire in May 2018.

Since mid-2013 I have lived and worked in the United States with my wife (Canadian citizen) and 2 two children (dual citizens). The total number of days where we have resided together in the US is around 1,500. Time spent in Canada visiting family in the last 5 years is around 100 days.

Knowing this information, am I still able to renew my PR card? Am I at risk of losing my Canadian PR status?

Thanks for reading!

PRinUSA

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I've been a Canadian Permanent Resident since 2008. My last renewal was early 2013. PR is due to expire in May 2018.

Since mid-2013 I have lived and worked in the United States with my wife (Canadian citizen) and 2 two children (dual citizens). The total number of days where we have resided together in the US is around 1,500. Time spent in Canada visiting family in the last 5 years is around 100 days.

Knowing this information, am I still able to renew my PR card? Am I at risk of losing my Canadian PR status?

Thanks for reading!

PRinUSA
Hi

Your PR status is safe. You can count the days spent residing with your Canadian spouse abroad towards the PR Residency Obligation. You can't renew your PR card while living outside of Canada.

Assuming you are American, you can travel to Canada on the strength of your passport without a PR card.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi

Your PR status is safe. You can count the days spent residing with your Canadian spouse abroad towards the PR Residency Obligation. You can't renew your PR card while living outside of Canada.

Assuming you are American, you can travel to Canada on the strength of your passport without a PR card.
While questionable, there have been forum members who reported being successful in applying for the PR card renewal while on vacation in Canada.