+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR physical presence for renewal - query

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
Hi folks, between living in Canada and in my home country, i will be 30 days short of the 730 days physical presence requirement, to be able to renew my permanent residency. Can anyone guide me on whether i can fudge the 30 days? It is not possible for me to arrive 30 days earlier, due to completing my undergraduate bachelor degree examinations. Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance. Dream

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
DreamMagii said:
Hi folks, between living in Canada and in my home country, i will be 30 days short of the 730 days physical presence requirement, to be able to renew my permanent residency. Can anyone guide me on whether i can fudge the 30 days?
You mean lie on your application? I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum that would advocate doing that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
DreamMagii said:
Hi folks, between living in Canada and in my home country, i will be 30 days short of the 730 days physical presence requirement, to be able to renew my permanent residency. Can anyone guide me on whether i can fudge the 30 days? It is not possible for me to arrive 30 days earlier, due to completing my undergraduate bachelor degree examinations. Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance. Dream
If you value your PR status and want to keep it, don't apply to renew your card until you actually meet the residency requirement. Fudging will put you on the fast path to losing your status.

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
No not lie, i am not a fraudulent type. I assume Immi cross-reference with ABSU port of entry dates? Can i apply for an extension to PR expiry? Or is there discretionary grounds? Could i plead my case at secondary interview/appeal? Any suggestions? If i serve a fresh 730 day period, my PR will be VERY expired.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
DreamMagii said:
No not lie, i am not a fraudulent type. I assume Immi cross-reference with ABSU port of entry dates? Can i apply for an extension to PR expiry? Or is there discretionary grounds? Could i plead my case at secondary interview/appeal? Any suggestions? If i serve a fresh 730 day period, my PR will be VERY expired.
You were asking about fudging - that's the same thing as lying.

Yes - they cross reference.

No - you can't apply for an extension. What you will need to do is remain in Canada without leaving (past the expiry of your PR card) until you meet the residency obligation (i.e. living in Canada 2 out of the last 5 years before you apply to renew your PR card). Once you meet RO, you'll be able to renew your PR card without issues.

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
Thanks Scylla. So just for clarity, it is entirely legal for me to stay past my PR expiry date without breaking immigration law, as long as i remain within Canada for that 2 years?
Would the customs official turn me away when i arrive at the Canadian international airport with only 7 months before my PR expires?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your PR status doesn't expire unless it's actually revoked. It's only the PR card that expires. Staying beyond it's expiry date is completely legal and without repercussions. Having 7 months left on your card and with only 30 days to meet minimum RO probably won't trigger CBSA initiating a residency review on arrival. Having 700 days and applying for a new card probably would.