+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR on process - Did not declare common-law status

donkruger2431

Jun 21, 2024
HELLO,

I am concerned about my PR application that is on process. I declared single as my marital status as I was not sure if my partner and I are considered common-law. We have lived in the same apartment for more than 4 years with roommate/s throughout the duration.

We did not have a statutory declaration of common-law document yet and we also settle bills, taxes individually. The only thing we have together is a joint bank account that we opened February this year. Basically every IRCC documents we submitted for the previous years were declared as single.

What would be my best option? Can I just have her sponsored after I get my PR? I am worried about misrepresentation issues that may arise.

or should I submit web forms and request for a change of marital status? If this is our best option, how would it affect my PR application in process?

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
You can declare common-law status, claiming it started 12 months ago. this way you didn't have to declare it earlier as it was not considered as common-law without living together for 12 months.