+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR extension/renewal obligations

Sep 27, 2017
Sir,

I have PR which is expired on July 2020
Due to illness of my mother and sister who is also dependent on me i could not stay in Manitoba(Canada)
My family (Spouse & sons )already residing in Winnipeg from the last three years.
My Question is how can i Extend/Renew my PR because my stay in Canada is not more than twenty days.
Now my children are applying for Citizenship for Canada, is their this step can help me for extension/renewal of my PR or my spouse should also apply for Citizenship.
You are requested to please advise me what i should do now or is there is any provision for applying PR extension this time now or before the six month of PR period expired.

waiting for your valuable reply.

Thanks,

Sunil Kumar Sehgal
INDIA
Dtd. 27-09-2017

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You could try to petition to get your PR renewal through H&C but given you have spent almost no time in Canada not sure if it would be worth your time. Best route, in my opinion, would be to renounce your PR and have your spouse sponsor you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
In addition to your children applying your spouse should also apply for citizenship as and when they all meet the physical presence requirements given your status has no impact on theirs.

As per Canuck78 given you have spent so little time since assume 2015 in Canada and it seems planning to not return any time soon the chances of H&C succeeding might be a challenge even if by that time your dependents are citizens. The PR residency obligation is an individuals responsibility to meet regardless of dependents status.

Others can correct me but do not think you can appeal in advance of July 2020 assuming that was 5 years after your landing date and not your PR card expiry. PR cards expire by the way being a PR never expires and can only be revoked or renounced.

Anything can happen in the next 33 months so it would make no sense really to renounce your PR in the near future but wait until 2020 if that is the route you plan to take and PR status should not be given up lightly unless absolutely necessary

Given once your PR card expires in 2020 you will not be able to renew from outside the country anyway so you would need at that time to apply for a PRTD to return to Canada which may at that time result in IRCC starting the revoke PR process due to failing the RO at which point you could appeal but as said with so little time spent out of 5 years chances are probably slim for success. So at that time in 2020 either IRCC revoke your PR or you renounce and your spouse as a maybe citizen by then sponsors you from scratch.

As said this is a personal view and others can join in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also a bit puzzled about the timing. If your family has stayed for 3 years already the 2020 expiry date for PR doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps you didn't arrive together.