+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired - visiting USA

Ray_2015

Aug 23, 2017
Hello,

My PR expired last Aug 16, 2017. I haven't received the new one yet.

I live and work in Toronto and I have to go to Detroit to visit a Customer. I'm going by private car and I will expend just one day in USA. My question: Can I return to Canada without problems ? Are they going to accept my current PR Card or I will need to show other documents such as driver license, SIN number, OHIP, etc.

Thanks,

Ray

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Also at the US border, they are going to ask for your status in Canada and you will have to show them your PR card, that could be a problem as well ...

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Hello,

My PR expired last Aug 16, 2017. I haven't received the new one yet.

I live and work in Toronto and I have to go to Detroit to visit a Customer. I'm going by private car and I will expend just one day in USA. My question: Can I return to Canada without problems ? Are they going to accept my current PR Card or I will need to show other documents such as driver license, SIN number, OHIP, etc.

Thanks,

Ray
CoPR(Confirmation of Permanent Residence) the is document that I showed in the absence of PR card

ImmiToCanada

Mar 2, 2014
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-03-2016
Many people said CoPR(Confirmation of Permanent Residence) ALONE would justify PR status when you enter Canada from US BY LAND

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Many people said CoPR(Confirmation of Permanent Residence) ALONE would justify PR status when you enter Canada from US BY LAND
With just your passport CBSA can confirm your PR status, although it may take more time.

All having COPR, expired PR card, etc does is help speed up the process and hopefully have first CBSA officer you encounter simply wave you in instead of referring to secondary inspection to confirm PR status.

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
And at the US Border, what are you supposed to tell if they ask for your Canadian PR card (they ask for it everytime) ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Also at the US border, they are going to ask for your status in Canada and you will have to show them your PR card, that could be a problem as well ...
And at the US Border, what are you supposed to tell if they ask for your Canadian PR card (they ask for it everytime) ?
Tell the truth.

Possession of a valid PR card is not a requirement for entering the U.S.

The U.S. border officer can ask a traveler about status in Canada, and can ask to see a status document showing that status. However, not every crossing will entail this line of inquiry. The actual line of inquiry, on any given occasion, will vary widely and depend on a range of factors. Travelers who have crossed using that same PoE before, and particularly those who have done so multiple times within the relatively recent past, are less likely to be asked probing questions. Many times a simple, truthful response to a question about status in Canada, as in "I am a Canadian Permanent Resident," suffices with little or no follow-up.

If the U.S. officer asks for a PR card, the traveler should produce it if the traveler does possess it. Valid or expired should not matter, but if it is expired that could lead to some additional questions. No big deal. Just answer the questions honestly.

Ultimately how it goes at the border will depend on the traveler's status to enter and be in the U.S. Questions about Canadian status are merely relevant to assessing who the traveler is, what the traveler's intentions are, and whether the traveler will comply with U.S. immigration and other laws.

Sure, if there are some doubts about the traveler's status to return to Canada, that could influence a U.S. border officer's concerns about the traveler potentially overstaying in the U.S. Which in turn could lead to being denied entry into the U.S. For the vast majority of Canadian PRs there should be little or no reason for the U.S. officers to have such concerns, even if the PR's PR card has expired, unless there are indeed circumstances suggesting reason for such concerns.

All this warrants the caveat that the U.S. side of the border tends to be more difficult for some travelers depending on some well-known (albeit abhorrent) discriminatory biases. Unfortunately.