+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expired in 2014. How can I prepare to migrate to Canada now?

mavdev

Jan 1, 2017
Hello,

I got PR Card through my family in 2009. I only visited Canada for a few weeks and then left. My PR Card expired in 2014. I am now in a place in my life that I want to migrate to Canada for good. From some research, I find that i have two options. Which option should I take and why?

1. Enter Canada (from US) by road using the Expired PR Card (I understand that officer will let me in?) and then stay in Canada for two years and then apply for my PR Card Renewal. Once the PR is renewed, I apply for citizenship after 4 more years.
2. Use my Expired PR Card to apply for a Travel Document. Use the Travel Document to fly in to Canada. Once in Canada, stay in 2 years and try to renew my PR Card.
3. Apply for PR Again using Express Entry (I am eligible now and can make the points too)

Which option should I go for and why? Are three of my options even correct or are some not even possible given the current rules?

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
mavdev said:
Hello,

I got PR Card through my family in 2009. I only visited Canada for a few weeks and then left. My PR Card expired in 2014. I am now in a place in my life that I want to migrate to Canada for good. From some research, I find that i have two options. Which option should I take and why?

1. Enter Canada (from US) by road using the Expired PR Card (I understand that officer will let me in?) and then stay in Canada for two years and then apply for my PR Card Renewal. Once the PR is renewed, I apply for citizenship after 4 more years.
2. Use my Expired PR Card to apply for a Travel Document. Use the Travel Document to fly in to Canada. Once in Canada, stay in 2 years and try to renew my PR Card.
3. Apply for PR Again using Express Entry (I am eligible now and can make the points too)

Which option should I go for and why? Are three of my options even correct or are some not even possible given the current rules?
I genuinely like option 2. You should probably seek legal advice 1st though. Just to be sure you aren't wasting precious time.

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
mavdev said:
Hello,

If you have to choose from these 3 options, you should choose option 1. Reason - Less money and time consuming,

But Do some research first, just to be sure how the procedure is going to be in your case.

andremarques19751

Aug 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
BC Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
19-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
You can try to enter using your expired PR by car but chances are low. By plane chances are close to none. And, even if you do, you will have a hard time to renew your PR as you didn't fulfill the requirements to retain you residency status. You can appeal to renew it but unless you had a extremely strong reason not to stay in Canada, they will reject. And make you leave the country unless you have a valid VISA.

What I suggest is:
- seek legal advice - most likely an expert will tell you to go through the 'residency determination' application, where you submit the forms to basically close this current PR process
- once this PR process is completed, ie, they say you are not a resident anymore, start all over in EE

Good luck!

can_indian

Apr 4, 2017
India
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
2175 / 6311
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
20-06-2017
andremarques19751 said:
You can try to enter using your expired PR by car but chances are low. By plane chances are close to none. And, even if you do, you will have a hard time to renew your PR as you didn't fulfill the requirements to retain you residency status. You can appeal to renew it but unless you had a extremely strong reason not to stay in Canada, they will reject. And make you leave the country unless you have a valid VISA.

What I suggest is:
- seek legal advice - most likely an expert will tell you to go through the 'residency determination' application, where you submit the forms to basically close this current PR process
- once this PR process is completed, ie, they say you are not a resident anymore, start all over in EE

Good luck!
Well in that case, it is better to acquire a PR through express entry.