+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Expired, Confused over PRTD, need urgent advice, travelling in 2 days

bumblebear

Jan 5, 2016
Hi all
I have been searching for help on this - apologies if it is covered somewhere else, I couldn't find it.
I am very confused and concerned about my options with regards to returning to Canada in a couple of weeks with an expired PR card...

Here are the facts:
  • PR expired in May
    PR Urgent Renewal application received by Sydney office in January.
    CIC made 'Decision' made in April.
    3 weeks later - Case Inquiry 1 received no update
    6 weeks later - Case Inquiry 2 received an response last May 24th that said the PR card is in the Vancouver Office. Advised to fax if traveling imminently.
    Fax 1 sent Tuesday 24th May
    Fax 2 sent Friday 27th May
    Today May 31st Case Inquiry 3 sent
    Flying Thursday June 2nd to London, returning June 17th

I thought PRTD was something you did when you lost a PR card while traveling / expired while traveling, but after reading this on the CIC website I am thinking this isn't an instant thing they generate - everything i read indicates it is an application that is sent away and takes weeks / months... and that I can no longer return to Canada via commercial travel.

You cannot apply for a PR card at a CIC office outside Canada.

Submit an application for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) by mail to the visa application centre (VAC) which serves the country and area you are visiting.

If your return flight to Canada is in less than six weeks and you are concerned with receiving the PRTD in time, please ensure to mark your application “Urgent” and provide your travel dates and flight itinerary when applying.

The PRTD is only valid for one (1) re-entry into Canada. Without a PR card or a PRTD, you will not be able to travel to Canada except by private vehicle.

You can apply to replace your PR card when you return to Canada.

Questions...
  • Has anyone returned to canada with an expired PR card - what happened?
    Has anyone gone to the visa office without the official appointment - can I do that?
    Does anyone have a help phone number or a phone number for the Vancouver office that a person actually answers?
    Can anyone offer any advice with regards to this situation...

Thank you for your time!