+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expiration after 5 years

kmalmd

Jun 17, 2017
Hello
I am asking about PR expiration if I got the PR status and left Canada for 5 years.
However I am doing a Phd in Sweden during that time so I will have the Swedish nationality.A fter that I wanna move to Canada but my PR is 6 years old. Of course I can enter Canada at that time with the swedish passport. Can I regain my PR status by then if I managed to enter Canada

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You can't fly to Canada with your Swedish passport, since you would require an eTA to board an airplane. But PRs are ineligible for eTAs.

So you would need to try to enter Canada via USA land border. If CBSA detects that you're a PR, they can report you for not meeting residency obligation which will start process to terminate your PR status.

If you make it into Canada unreported, then you must stay here 2 straight years without leaving for any reason,. before you came back into compliance with the RO and could only then apply to renew PR card. Living in Canada 2 years straight with no PR card may be difficult.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
What Rob_TO said is spot on.

You need to understand that, your PR status do not expire, only the card expires. You remain a PR, even if you've never lived in Canada in the past five years, until an official decision is made by the immigration authority to revoke your PR status